Wow! Is it really? I hope you enjoy my silly list. It's only thanks to a friend that this is here. I appreciate all your wonderful emails, Dilo!
So here it is; my favorite baby animals. They are not really in any order except as I think of them. However, I am saving the most surprising for last. It is just about my favorite, though not for cuddling.
1. Domestic cats – especially when the kittens have learned how to use the litter box but can’t yet wave those little stick-straight tails
2. Mice – this isn’t to say they’re my second favorite as stated above, but they recall fond childhood memories when my family had a breeding pair; the newborns were like pink pussy willow catkins
3. Praying mantids – they are thinner than a pencil line and just as alert as can be; a mated, murderous female is at the opposite spectrum, however (Yikes!)
4. Horses – colts, especially baby Clydesdales, are painfully cute
5. Sheep – a stuffed toy lamb was a favorite growing up
6. Dogs – I’ll never forget our mutt's precious puppies; the big one turned out to be nothing but fur when bathed for the first time
7. Brine shrimp – who doesn’t love Sea-Monkeys? I had them as a kid and again in my twenties!
8. Groundhogs – one little darling trundled through my yard last fall on Mama’s heels
9. Wild cats – so alike and yet so different from their domestic cousins
10. Freshwater pet fish – another pleasantry from childhood
11. Elephants – their matriarchal society is fascinating, too
12. Sea horses – the adults are precious enough, though; I’d set up a saltwater tank if I could afford a pro to take care of it
13. Cobras – they are poisonous within hours of birth, perfect miniatures of the adult; people think I'm a bit of a loon but there it is
Upon reviewing this I find myself tempted to set up a tiny fish tank and perhaps get a Beta to enjoy while writing. Then again, my electronic photo frame filled with images of beautiful men is probably distraction enough.