Monday, September 14, 2026

Rising with the Tide (I Hope)

I kept tropical fish for many years before two waves of total die-off broke my heart. Several weeks ago a neighbor asked about my tanks. I’d shown him, his wife, and young daughter (now starting at university!) so long ago that I’d completely forgotten both that visit and the fact the man himself is an enthusiastic aquarist.

Saddened my two tanks sat dormant, he told me about a natural system touted by a quirky older gentleman calling himself Father Fish. This octogenarian helped establish the United State’s National Aquarium, which I hadn’t even known existed.

I’m learning a lot. The most important lesson is to dismiss much of what the giant pet industry wants us to believe. I won’t bore you with details. Suffice it to say that I no longer plan to rely on old techniques.

Sad to say, I’ve already lost several fish. Three honey gourami died mysteriously over time. More recently, the ever present ich parasite reared its ugly head. My tiny pygmy rasboras are succumbing one by one.

At the first sighting of those telltale white specks I should have acted immediately and purchased a water heater I knew capable of reaching 86 degrees Fahrenheit instead of messing with a vintage model. This warming method is reliable against the cold water loving parasite and far more gentle than caustic chemicals. That ‘scientific’ treatment actually sped the demise of many prized specimens in 2019.

At the advice of an independent pet store owner I added more air stones as these temperatures do reduce oxygen levels. I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll save the remaining rasboras and two seemingly healthy gourami.

That knowledgeable enthusiast advising me runs Pawesome Pet Supplies and Grooming. Besides offering great service, his place works with a small local cat adoption agency. Though I’d never seen any kitties on previous visits, this adorable gentleman made my acquaintance the other day.

Have you ever kept pet fish? Can you believe that my late, great freshwater clown loaches clicked in response to outside sounds?

-

5 comments:

  1. Darla, I love the short cat video.
    I worked in the pet supply field from 1987 to 1996. I only know about ick, which is a common fish illness and swim bladder.
    My specialty was cats and birds.
    I did not sell animals, only the supplies and I encouraged my customers to get a rescue...cat or dog and come to me to buy their supplies.
    Too many puppy mills out there.
    Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does that mean you're giving the fishies another go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, although not in a proper aquarium. They never lasted long, and it seemed to be cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No fish for me. I babysat some fish many years ago and most of them died. I felt so bad.

    As for kitties. Bring them on.

    Have a fabulous day and week, my friend. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had fish but they sure are pretty and relaxing to watch them swim!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!