Thursday, September 10, 2026

A Quick Movie Review of “Coyote vs. Acme”

My husband and I grew up watching Looney Toons, so missing “Coyote vs. Acme” at the cinema was unthinkable. And we don’t regret the time and money spent.


Each animated bit blended beautifully with the live action scenes. Individual cartoon character quirks were treated as gospel. In particular, the filmmakers showcased Wile E. Coyote’s silent communication skills in a top notch manner.

Laughing throughout the film’s runtime, I was moved by a few snippets. Those moments were a bit cheesy but forgivable and ultimately fun.

People never exposed to Looney Toons won’t have the same depth of experience. Still I believe the funny human/toon interactions and clever plot twists will entertain most any adult.

My biggest complaint regards it being marketed as a family film. The content is purely adult oriented despite the cartoonish slapstick.

At heart it’s a story of corporate malpractice and consumer abuse culminating in a courtroom procedural. And if you appreciate Greek mythology such as the torture of Sisyphus and have the intelligence to understand it, well, use your brain.

 No kid wants to see that, and the prepubescent girl and toddler among our tiny audience made their burgeoning boredom clear. At least they weren’t horrendously annoying.

I find it so cool that this script was loosely based on Ian Frazier’s 1990 New Yorker magazine article by the same name. I should track it down. Equally, my mind is blown by the fact that a tiny company called Ketchup Entertainment revived what Warner Bros. Discovery shelved as a 2023 tax write-off. After all, the original Warner Bros. Entertainment founded Looney Tunes in 1930.

If you have any interest, please purchase tickets because this studio deserves support that seems lacking. On a bright note, I interacted with a fan during a random encounter this afternoon. She and her boyfriend enjoyed the F out of it.

Oh, and there are plausible theories that the tax write-off was partly due to studio executives disliking the comparison to current practices. Hmmm... What a surprise. ~insert sarcasm~ Hollywood cretins prefer to laud the abusive studio system and hate on the mainstream audience.

Do younger generations know there was a time when movie houses were packed for limited showings? And that real human beings ran each projector?

10 comments:

  1. We certainly saw Road Runner and Coyote here.
    Yes, I remember large and full theatres, but times have changed and we must adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely even heard about this movie. (I'm so out of the loop for movies nowadays.) I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my kids really enjoy it.. but we may have to wait to watch it at home. With the kids back in school schedules are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Darla, thank you so much for sharing your review! I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Roadrunner and Coyote. I will never go to the movies again as long as cell phones are allowed. Here it's awful, kids on their phone and kids playing games on their phone, talking and carrying on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up on those too. I think I would enjoy this, but haven't been to the theater in about 10 years- whenever the last Star Trek was out. .:) XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, we weren't even aware such a movie was made. Guess mom, dad and I are living in our own little isolated shell of an existence. Anyhoo, dad says he grew up watching those silly cartoons, too. He used to look forward to Saturday mornings for them. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I haven't seen a movie since the Star Trek movies started appearing many years ago. I am not into killing, torture, sex, violence, and other such scenes...none of that is entertaining to me. So I do myself a favor and don't go. :-) I would make an exception to see the Coyote and the Roadrunner though...and anything ACME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review. I've been interested in seeing the movie and you have convinced me that I need to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother went nuts over this movie=--loved it. I hope to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!