Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Tips and Tricks

I have become a real fan of fresh fruit, whether in a smoothie or whole. By happenstance, I learned that pineapple juice is an excellent preservative. I’d bought some to make homemade sweet and sour sauce. It turned out okay but my crab Rangoon wasn’t worth the effort. Grapes, apple slices, banana bits, and what have you stay fresh in the refrigerator with a dose of the sweet/sour nectar – for over a week! I also learned that black cherry Kool Aid powder gets everywhere, yet putting the water filled (or empty) pitcher on the fridge door shelf contains the annoying dye.

Outside the kitchen, I learned that hummingbirds don’t need their sugar water dyed red. And powdered sugar is bad for their health; they don’t need the cornstarch additive.

Remaining on the outside, where I’m now enjoying a lovely evening, I’ve discovered that I can legally own a flamethrower. Flame’s a great poison free weed killer. For now I enjoy using my little butane torch purchased for cooking use.

Still in the garden area, one of the best things I ever did was take a free course on pruning woody plants. You want to cut at the branch bark ridge, especially for trees. Otherwise, they can become diseased or even dangerous from sudden breakage. A local arborist calls this method ‘Treevorkian’, per Dr. Kevorkian’s infamous legacy.

On a funny note, years ago I purchased a pot of what the garden center called ‘snake plant’. He could tell me little else about it. After moving the withering, tropical looking plant to a shadier region I know have a spreading monstrosity that, while beautiful, shoots up stinky flowers – cadaverous smelling. Right this moment I see three shoots from where I sit. Hence I will never try selling this house in April or May. ~grin~ A contractor almost gagged one spring. Heh… And the same goes for prickly pear cactus. A single pot has overtaken parts of my yard.

Outside the home, my little town needs a lesson. Please mark a closed road before resients drive blocks out of their way. There are exactly two intersections allowing entrance and egress. And while I appreciate the infrastructure improvements, not knowing which way to go is annoying. It’s a first world problem, for sure, however this adds stress I don’t need.

My husband’s surgery was an apparent success – no cancr cells detected around the surgical sight. Therein lies another tip. If you require general anesthesia, know that a paralytic is included. This restricts bathroom activity, shall we say, and taking steps pre-op make the tummy region much more comfortable days after.

Forgive me if you’ve read any of this stuff here before. I appreciate you stopping by. Connecting with awesome bloggers keeps me sane.

Did you know that any cacti species are a Midwestern United States native?

-

29 comments:

  1. If I apply pineapple juice each night to my face, will it preserve my youthful looks?
    Killing weeds with a flamethrower sound like great fun to me, even if the device was bought to make creme brulee. For weeds that used to pop up in our last house's paving, I used boiling water. It worked just as well as any chemical.
    Snake plant looks familiar to me but it doesn't sound like a plant we have.
    Prickly pear is very problematic weed here. I'd get rid of it from your garden.
    Good to hear things went well for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the laughs, suggestions, and well wishes. :D

      Delete
  2. My prickly pear is very happy, on the south side of the house against the brickwork. I may need to transplant it, because I cannot weed anywhere near it. Native to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. ~nods~ Be well, my dear, and take great care with the removal!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad your husband's surgery was a success. I have different varieties of snake plants (Dracaena trifasciata
    Plant) but none shoots out flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think using a flame thrower for weeds is a good idea. I can just imagine the wildfire that might result after. (It's probably a west thing with our lingering droughts.)

    Oh, you have, what is it called? Corpse flower? There's one at a local university. People come from miles to see the thing. You should charge admission. When the thing is in bloom, it makes our local news. Seriously, people will come from miles around to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather is very wet, I'm thankful to report. However, I've had a few overzealous uses. ~shakes head~ A neighbor offered help during my latest conflagration. ~hangs head~ I need to give it up. As for my corpse flower, mine is not the one that blooms once a century. Still, I'm happy to have it and at one point didn't know it was a common bloomer. Interestingly, its roots are edible, too.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy fresh fruits too. I've heard that those snake plants can be hard to manage. I'm so glad that the hubby's surgery was successful, that's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your husband's surgery went well and no cancer cells were detected. We feed hummingbirds too, just heat 1 cup sugar to 4 cups of water. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the reminder to mix up some nectar. lol Blessings and hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Andrew on the boiling water on weeds method, but the flame thrower would be more fun. HOwever, a Brooks man, already disabled, whose daughter I know, nearly killed himself with an industrial torch, attempting to kill blackberries in the middle of a heat wave, from his wheelchair. Set the ground around him on fire, then himself, would have died had not someone living on the property seen it, and rushed over and grabbed out of there. He spent over a year rehabbing, with skin grafts, lots of time in nursing home, multiple surgeries, caught covid in the rehab center, spread it his family.....so......hmmm. I did not know your husband had surgery and a cancer scare? Very good he had nothing outside the area of surgery. I will avoid snake plants. Thank you for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no for the cancer scare. I'm glad he's okay though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like fresh fruit, Darla, mainly from nutrition point of view.
    Glad to know the update about husband's health condition. Wishing and praying for his good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darla, the above comment was from me. I didn't realise that I hadn't logged in.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. Best wishes, my dear Pradeep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow....so not used to that long of a post. Great reading. When you say snake plant, AKA Mother In Laws tongue. Not sure where that name came from but when my Mother in Law gave me that plant, that is what she told me it was. I married in 80, so that plant has been around that long....I have divided it up so many times, and fail to water my smaller plant when I bring it in for the winter....Fruit, not a big fan of apples. I love watermelon and before long I will be on my buying spell for them. Banana, mixes up great in shakes. Blueberries...and I love raspberries and blackberries but they are a little pitty. And I love Cara Oranges. My CITY needs a lesson....PAVING interstates and roadways in the IT CITY should be a must have, but apparently my tax money went someplace else. Due to all the construction and contractors throwing screws and nails in the back of their trucks, hit a bump cause folks like me to have to have four plugs in your tire and a whole new fire bought. Okay....venting is over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have it worse as far as city planning, for sure. ~hugs~ Feel free to vent here. :D

      Delete
  12. I love to make my own smoothies with pineapple, strawberries too, in their own smoothie, I'll use cherries and make a smoothie..no sugar. Sometimes banana...etc etc. I have a Stapelia succulent that blooms in September and makes beautiful large star shaped flowers when they open. They look like tennis balls in size before they do. And they smell strongly of carrion. They are caked with bottle flies when they open because of the atrocious smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I must look up Stapelia succulent. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  13. We're glad your husband's surgery went well. My word, the things I miss when preoccupied elsewhere. Be well, Darla.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I am back! I jumped over to see if you had a new post. I did want to share with you that I have been doing the sugar water mix for the hummingbirds for years. I read that the dye in the red color was not good for them so I stopped buying that mix for them. I will do a mix of one cup sugar and four of hot water, I then store the mix in the fridge. This way I can go for it whenever I need to. Once I start to run out I mix up more and store. I clean my feeder with vinegar and hot water, rising really well. I keep a toothbrush at the kitchen sink for helping with the cleaning process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. guyz ~~~

    stoppin bye witha SUN day HI

    N sneekin round on free WI FI

    long with uz iz copee & paste

    fish on de grillz reddy two baste ♥♥♥

    and we iz BUZZED HAPPEE noe damn bass terd C waz seen ♥

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!