Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday Thirteen - Asian Foods

Here are some of the interesting things I've encountered among the various Asian dishes available in the Midwest of America:

1. Unagi Don is broiled eel over rice - a rich and flavorful Japanese dish I've been enjoying for years.  It's even better broiled than grilled, probably because of all that fat.

2. Hwe Dup Bap combines lettuce, rice, and raw fish with a delicious spicy bean paste.  It sounds like an odd mix but I've enjoyed it on several occasions.

3. Seafood salad from my favorite sushi establishment is a mysterious mix of plant and animal matter that tastes fabulous with a lightly sweet and sour dressing.  Sesame seeds add a perfect little extra flavor.

4. Flying fish roe is a crunchy treat for sushi lovers.  Putting a raw quail egg over the mouthful adds a creamy texture that is to die for.

5. Kani Su from my local Chinese/Japanese fushion restaurant is a delicious blend of artificial crab (kani), cucumber, and seaweed in a light sauce.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

6. 1,000 year old egg is a bit gamey for me, made with duck egg the way it is.  The gelatinous white was especially unappealing.  I'd still be curious to try a milder chicken egg given the same clay pack treatment.

7. Seaweed salad is something I first enjoyed while visiting North Carolina's Outer Banks.  I'm so glad our local place serves this crunchy treat.

8. Grilled squid warms my tummy with its spicy mayonnaise sauce.  Chewy and delicious!

9. Cold, steamed spinach is a refreshing appetizer with its light vinegar dressing.

10. Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap is a tasty Korean blend of rice, beef, vegetables, and bean sprouts topped with a cooked egg.  Sizzle it to crispy in the hot stone pot, top with hot bean paste, and enjoy real comfort food.

11. Katsudon makes for a great winter Japanese meal.  I really enjoy breaded pork and egg as a savory mix over rice.

12. Sea urchin has recently reentered my menu at our local sushi restaurant.  Raw, it's pretty pungent, but unique and worth a try.

13. Natto is fermented bean curd, quite tasty over rice if you can get over the slimy threads.  I usually enjoy it for lunch as opposed to the typical breakfast time dining.  This food is allegedly becoming less popular in Japan but I appreciate the taste and texture on the tongue.

12 comments:

  1. I like the sound of Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap, but I doubt I'd ever get the order out of my mouth. LOL!

    Interesting list, though. I'd better go get some lunch.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kani Su sounds yummy! I haven't had any of these!!!
    I've been adventurous with my sushi, but most of the stuff I eat is pretty Americanized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suddenly have a craving. "Hey, honey... let's go out for Asian cooking!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit I'm not huge into the more traditional dishes, but I so love Changs!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's an awful lot of "raw" in this list.

    I've had thousand year egg, but it was years and years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And people wonder why I don't care for Asian cuisine. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek! Most of these don't do it for me at all. Maybe the squid?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made it to an Asian grocery store in our new area, but I'm going to move that up the list. I still have your natto recommendations in my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asian food = love.

    If I had the money, I'd hire a Japanese cook, and never leave home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm, I love flying fish roe!!! When I lived in Japan, my Japanese friends loved getting me to try things they thought Americans wouldn't like...natto & sea urchin roe were the two things I didn't care for!

    Thanks for playing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed these great comments! And that was after compiling the list off the top of my head. I'd thought it would be more challenging but my partner has gotten me to be much more adventurous than I ever was as a youth. Thanks, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm Asian, but unfortunately, I don't eat a lot of the food in your list.

    ~ Jo's Precious Thoughts ~

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!