Friday, November 17, 2023

My Taste of History

Okay, I must confess to not following the entire recipe Max Miller shared. It was time consuming and very sticky. So I skipped the part where he added day of the dead decorations. After all, I’d already used two entire eggs and five (!) egg whites.

Mr. Miller prepared fancier pieces...

I did brush the risen bread with an egg white wash before baking. That extra yoke and the five white parts made a fine lunch.

Heh…

In addition, after a taste test I decided against the final steps of adding a cooked flour past and two dustings of sugar. We fat folk have diabetes in this house! Lastly, I ended up with seven little loaves that melded together and froze five.

Now I’ll respond to dear blogger friend Strayer, who expressed her curiosity. I did not taste the orange blossom water beforehand. The strong scent, while nice, decided me against it.

I feared the loaves hadn’t risen as described and would be like bricks. Nope. They are delicious! While light, there is chewiness that’s a nice change from most breads we buy/bake. I also enjoyed the hint of yeast and the mild sweetness with its floral undertone. Those all balanced beautifully with anise infused water and orange zest.

If this recipe failed the bottle suggested it as a hot tea additive. I don’t think that will happen. I’m wondering if I should have frozen so many for later.

Do you like citrus? Have you ever tasted a fruity sauce paired with meat?

-

6 comments:

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!