Thursday Thirteen – Childhood Memories
1. There once existed lists of my stuffed animals so I could rotate weekly which ones slept in my bed. We wouldn’t want unfair treatment!
2. Same said stuffed animals were often the imperfect ones found at the store. I wanted to make sure they got a home.
3. I remember having a fit in anger during which I threw a favorite book across the room. Then I cried over the broken binding.
4. In all kinds of weather I used to join our dog on the roof of her doghouse for gentle companionship. She never did like being inside.
5. During my teens, my fingernail polish matched each and every new day’s outfit. I still wish I could get that time back for something more productive.
6. When little, a favorite play spot was the staircase of my grandparents’ home.
7. Eating walnuts in my grandfather’s woodworking shop is another favorite memory from that era. He used to sit and talk with me for hours.
8. Squirrels running around in the trees and power lines entertained me for hours. My grandfather taught me patience to the point we could feed some of the squirrels on the porch.
9. Winters at my other grandparents’ country home displayed a vast array of wild birds visiting for a free feed. The background noise of adults chatting as I stared out the window was a soothing sound.
10. A great flood once allowed us kids to use pool floats in the neighborhood streets. Mom was a dear to let us get away with that.
11. My brother used to drive me around in his car and I still remember the neat park road that dipped below the level of a creek. It became impossible to traverse after a particularly heavy rain.
12. Caring for houseplants and gardening with my grandmother taught me a lot, and not all just about vegetation.
13. Snuggling with my dad on the couch, we would often snooze on Sunday afternoons while watching NASCAR. I never saw the checkered flag as often as the start of the races.
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
I decided to share something I think is really interesting to aspiring authors. Now I need to go back to reading it myself!
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Kyle surprised me by running out of the apartment building at my heels. He actually panted lightly from the strain of running. Then he held up his hand and I saw what made him chase me.
Monday, February 14, 2011
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Once again, the website Pink Tentacle offered some spectacular Asian flavored images for me to share. Here are some of the amazing snow and ice sculptures formed around trees in the northern mountainous regions of Japan: