Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Kintsugi: The Centuries-Old Art of Repairing Broken Pottery with Gold

Dear Ellen made an intelligent guess on the meaning of wabi-sabi that caused me to look up the term titled above. Wabi-sabi is an appreciation of natural beauty’s impermanence as sweet Sandee mentioned in her comment.

The esthetics are almost identical as this article states. As well as learning about the history, I saw some beautiful modern examples plus discovered a link to DIY kits. I’m even considering buying one since I have broken so many things over the decades.

~rolls eyes~

I sincerely wish I’d not discarded either of my two champagne glasses broken at different times. ~sigh~ Bought in Austria when my high school choir toured the region, they served at our wedding almost a decade later.

But I digress. Kintsukuroi is an alternative name for kintsugi, which translates as “golden journey”. That alone made this brief research a joy.

Alas, my favorite fictional band broke up...
Heh...

Can you believe I just paid around $36 (USD) without knowing how I’ll use it? Or should I try redoing this repaired mug?

-

16 comments:

  1. Oh, you'll use it. Eventually. You just don't know what it's for. Yet. The right project will present itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most crafty and you'll use it just fine and you'll tell us about it too.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most kind. I wish both my ability to bring imagined projects to reality and finish any and all were better. lol

      Delete
  3. Repairing the mug is a very personal matter. (how's that for a non committal answer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd end up making things worse, I can hardly ever fix anything LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband can assure you I tend to muck things up, such as using caulk to keep ants out and making a mess. ~sigh~ But I counter that he never pitches in on my projects. At least the acrylic paint stains he noticed many weeks after my spill came out of the carpet. lol Be well!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of a kit to fix that mug. Sorry about your glasses. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That mug repaired in gold in the link is absolutely gorgeous but my that's an expensive repair material. I'll stick to my super glue from the Dollar General.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wise. My problem with super glue is that I end up stuck to my project. lol Fingers crossed, this won't wind up the same.

      Delete
  7. Redo is great but I break so much that redoing is not even doable! So far the last few months, I have broke a couple of glasses and a craft that Caleb and I did many years ago....neither could be repaired. Yes, broke them while packing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have long ago given up and when it is something of value sentimentally, I ask members of the family to please fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!