Wednesday, April 27, 2016

W is for Tom Waits

Mr. Waits is the single true solo artist I featured this month and a stark departure from most of what I've shared. Nikki Sixx, lyricist and bass play from Mötley Crüe, recommended him in an article a few years back. Weeks later, I read that Johnny Depp is another purported Tom Waits fan but by that time I already owned three of his albums. His voice was described by music critic Daniel Durchholz as “sounding like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car.” I thank The Epistle of Jim for posting the quote (and some music clips!). Recently Mr. Waits featured on a tribute album to Blind Willie Johnson, one of the most influential blues artists of all time. If you want to hear this unconventional master, here is his take on Mr. Johnson’s  "What is the Soul of a Man".



In honor of Mississippi Delta Blues, today’s feaux group could feature on “God Don’t Never Change: The Songs of Blind Willie Johnson”. I’ll call them Walking the Word.

* Notice: I anticipate restricted Internet access for several days at least as the challenge comes toward a close. So please excuse me if I do not reply to your comment anytime soon. My online activity is currently restricted to reading and commenting on others’ blogs. Thank you for expressing interest in my frivolous entries!
-

18 comments:

  1. You can believe me when I say, I know Tom Waits and I like his voice. This was a pleasant surprise. To see your W representíng Tom Waits. Excellent.

    Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! That is awesome, Pat. You made my day. Thank you for the kind word.

      Delete
  2. Ever since I put your picture in a frame - one of my all time favourite recordings. I'm a massive Tom Waits fan.

    My A-Z story features 4 neglected W words

    My friend Rosey has had a go too - Wobbly Wosey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing, Keith. I'm thrilled! And I enjoyed Rosey's words. ~grin~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  3. Okay, now you're talking!! Love Tom and have seen him in concert several times. He is a genius and a brilliant poet.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How terrific! How did I miss him for so many years? You made my night, Kathleen. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I'm ashamed to say (she bows her head low to the ground) I've not heard of Tom Waits. But interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not feel bad, Nicola. I missed this boat for a long time. Thank you for the kind word. And be well!

      Delete
  5. I've heard of Tom Waits. Can't think what I know him from, but I know of him.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. I'm thrilled that so many lovely commenters know of the man. Be well, Liz!

      Delete
  6. Great choice today! This has been fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. You've certainly brought me joy. Be well!

      Delete
  7. I recall toward the end of the David Letterman show, Tom Waits covered a song and I wondered to myself if they just pulled some guy off the street to sing. But since then I've heard other stuff from Tom Waits, and it turns out he's quite talented, even if he sounds like his voice was run over by a garbage truck.

    "Walking The Word" Sounds like a great gospel group.

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge W is for Wilson Phillips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome memory, Mary. Thank you so much for sharing. You made me snort. And I'm so glad your enjoy his work. How did I miss out for so long? And thanks for the kind word about my made up group. Be well!

      Delete
  8. Tom Waits voice certainly is something different. I could not listen long to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, my dear. I'm thrilled that you have checked out some of the music I've shared. It's an honor to entertain you in my humble way. Be well!

      Delete
  9. I will always associate Tom Waits with my time of living in Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. He was our "weekend soundtrack" coming home in the middle of the night along those country roads. . . Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool, Valerie. Thank you for sharing your story. He would keep my awake, I think, on a long drive down dark roads. It's neat to read that so many commenters know of his songs. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!