Sunday, March 5, 2023

My Saturday Surprise

Yesterday I ran a couple of errands and decided to go through the car wash. I took the Cruze days before while the Volt remained encased in road dirt. The relative warm temperature and sunshine changed my mind; I drove home and hooked up the garden hose. It would save money, I thought, as well as give me exercise.

I couldn’t have been more wrong on that first point.

Before I even got started, a man approached. Solicitors annoy me, but what he said got my attention. We went around to the back yard where he’d noticed overgrowth from his company truck. The full scope shocked him so much he went to get his boss while I spoke to my husband. We agreed to the price as long as I received documentation.

I signed our agreement and, to my delighted amazement, the owner said they would immediately get started (!) and likely finish the same day (!!).

Sorry, but I can’t help sharing yet another horror movie quote. ~shakes head~ In “Evil Dead II”, the character Sarah meets two locals on her way to her parents’ (evil possessed) cabin and they make a deal. The fellow offers to carry her bags for “a hundred buck” before seeing Sarah’s huge travel trunk.

Ugly, yes; but I have a clean(er) slate...
You see, these groundskeepers had no clue the tangle of vines awaiting them. Even the boss joined in, which isn’t normally the case. They worked for at least five hours, taking turns to rest as exhaustion set in. Exorbitant as the fee might seem (a staggering $2,000 USD), I don’t regret it. Thank heaven we will not end up strangled by this debt.

The Virginia creeper was killing every one of my trees and shrubs, including a honeysuckle I forgot existed, bent beneath the other vine’s massive trunk. Now it won’t be such an uphill battle cleaning up surrounding areas because (unfortunately) Virginia creeper sets roots wherever it touches. So I still have my work cut out for me, as they say. In fact, I should work a little each day now.

This is what they hauled up...
To reiterate the difficulty level, I saw one fellow all but collapse against their truck when I peeked out front and later learned about their numerous falls on the steep slope. Bringing the guys some bottled water, I asked how they manage such heavy labor. “We all have kids, and kids are expensive,” said one of them. I had to laugh.

Can you believe they went on to another job after that? Isn’t it heartening to find ambitious young people?

-

16 comments:

  1. That is impressive! was it hot that day? Good comparison with Sarah's trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sunny but with a chilly breeze. No doubt the poor sweaty guys would get cold while taking a break. I'm glad you like the comparison. :D

      Delete
  2. $2000 sounds like a lot but the important thing is that you feel you got value for your money and you do. Innocent young Virginia and Ivy can mature to be very bad adults. You have to stay in control of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, it is just worth the cost to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially considering the shape we are in. lol

      Delete
  4. Had that overgrowth been something you'd been wanting to deal with for a while? Then it was good they happened by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a weight on my mind for the last few years. So I was very lucky. My husband hasn't wanted to spend the money, so I'm sooo thankful he agreed.

      Delete
  5. That sure ia a good thing to get done and I'll bet you are relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does look like a lot of work they did. I am spoiled because my hubby is constantly cleaning up outside as he is too cheap to hire any help. Unfortunately, anything he saves ends up going to the veterinarian. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a moment to figure out that last sentence. LOL Hugs, my dear, to you and yours.

      Delete
  7. It is hard to find people willing to do work and do it right or even to finish it. I found out years ago that almost each spring I had wood that needed to be replaced on my old place, and it was so hard to find someone willing to do that. They would rather have had a bigger job where they could really make the money, they did not wish to do little side jobs. However, I think now, with so many folks not really wanting to go back to a business to work are willing to do more than in the past. They prefer to work like this, and do more than they would otherwise. I thought 2000 sounded like a lot but it is really hard in pics to see exactly how much there is there that needed cleaning out and how hard it was to get to. But looking at the trailer full tells me a tad more. BUT....I hate letting go of that sort of money. It kills me to pay my guy 65 each 10 days to cut my yard in the summer. However, still dealing with a sore hip makes me think it might be a good idea to suck it up and stop worrying. Even though it took me months to realize that the hip issue was a result of the summer the mower tossed me. Due to the pain I deal with daily, I did not put two and two together since the pain in the hip started slow and grew over months...I hate fibro and being older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mowing services are expensive and I'm sorry about your pain. ~hugs~ Well, I'd best go do some work outside. Heh...

      Delete
    2. Yep, it was costing me 65 every 10 days last summer. Crazy pricing. If I can get out there and do the flatter parts that will not cost as much money. However, I start out gun-ho and start doing that but then it gets the better of me.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!