Saturday, March 18, 2023

Losses and Wins

I almost titled this ‘French Onion Dupe’ but neither the recipe nor its creator was at fault for my French onion soup fail. It seems that adding a baking soda solution to the onions surpassed my sweetness palate. And while my lovingly toasted baguette slices got soggy on the bottom, the expensive Gruyère shreds turned to concrete. Oh, well. I blame my husband more because he showed me a great YouTube video that led me down this rabbit hole, then neither of us could find her again.

On the bright side, grinding meat with my stand mixer is a cool (newer) experience. There is still much for me to learn. I made a pork sauerkraut pinwheel (too lean/dry) and then meatballs, using the rest of the ground pork and some beef (with added fat) that I processed. I’m not a big fan of meatballs yet they turned out great despite my lacking ricotta cheese as suggested by Sam the Cooking Guy.

While his language can be a bit profane, filming with his sons makes watching their show a laugh fest. I suggest checking them out if you enjoy cooking shows.

Do you like watching cooking shows? If so, what type(s)?

20 comments:

  1. My dad says he used to watch The Galloping Gourmet when he was waaay younger, and he and my mom have been binging The Great British Baking Show lately. He said the pork sauerkraut pinwheel sounds mouthwatering, but we both know mom would never, ever let him eat such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking shows. I like Jamie's 15 minute meals. But I watch all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found some Orzo in the back of the cupboard (a rice shaped pasta) and made, off youtube, a delicious Orzo dish, with some substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. COOKING??? I don't like to cook. HAHA...I do like to bake, which by the way is NOT the same thing. So with that said, nope, I do not like watching cooking shows. Main reason, they use a lot of stuff I never heard of in their meals, and a lot of ingredients. I like to keep (when I do cook) with the least amount of ingredients as I can, or at least ones that I have on hand and have heard of before!! lol....Sorry about your soup. As much as I like French Onion soup, I think I would rather go out and purchase it then to try to make it. My daughter on the other hand, loves to watch the cooking shows, and yes, there are several things within her that makes me question if she is really my child! lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not even allowed into the kitchen, except to make myself hot tea and to feed the cats; The Hubby does everything else, and I'm spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, too bad. Maybe next time. The only cooking show I ever watched was Good Eats. Nowadays, I might catch something here or there, but I don't seek them out. I'm not a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like most kinds of cooking shows here, some of the baking contests are fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry your soup didn't come out like you hoped. I don't usually watch cooking shows, but I will check it out. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't watch cooking shows. Cooking for one in my eyes doesn't deserve a lot of effort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My old woman often makes soup but has never tried French onion soup as it all looks a little complicated for her simple brain!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!