Wednesday, March 29, 2023

I Did It Again

Yesterday I decided to use a up handful of frozen strawberries by covering them with a thin layer of semi-sweet chocolate. In past using Baker’s chocolate I would set the microwave for thirty seconds on high, stir, and repeat until getting the desired consistency.

Still foggy from my little respiratory infection, I decided to just set the oven for a minute. Just as the timer began beeping I turned around and saw smoke billowing out of the microwave.

Oh, no, I thought, not again. Opening windows fast as possible, I asked my husband for help with the smoke alarm. My handy stepstool didn’t give me high enough reach. But he just sat there, watching me scramble, saying he didn’t hear any alarm.

“Right!” I hollered. “And I don’t want to!”

He remained sitting on the couch, unconcerned. I’m thankful my measures proved adequate and we didn’t get another visit from the local fire department. I wish I’d photographed my chocolate hockey puck. Let’s hope I can get the burn marks out of the microwave.

It still stinks - baking soda should help.
Did you know chocolate could char? Do you ever wish you could hire a home cook?

-

18 comments:

  1. Goodness. I've never tried this before and I will remember this if I ever have the urge to. I had no idea this would happen in the microwave.

    Bless your husbands heart.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe my reply didn't post. ~sigh~ Hugs to you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. Oops. Glad the fire department didn't show up, but sad at the loss of the chocolate. Apparently you must be watched when you're in the kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Where were my two inspectors, Terra and Polly? ~shakes head~ The chocolate was a sad loss.

      Delete
  3. Oh!
    This is exactly why I avoid the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately nothing here is connected to call anyone for anything but I am one of the towel or book waving frequents, in trying to get the smoke alarm to quit with the screaming when I've overcooked something or left the bathroom door open for a shower. No, I didn't know you could char chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I've provided public information. lol

      Delete
  5. There is a very good food delivery service that my sister used to use. Tasty and nutritious meals are prepared on the premises and delivered ready to heat. Whenever my partner complains about not knowing what to cook, the reply is 'It's time for Katrina's Kitchen'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the firemen might have enjoyed the blackened chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. I have done that with melts before and they turn into something like melted Styrofoam. And I have started the toaster oven on fire when I used parchment paper. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound like Pam in the kitchen. Cook, yes would love one. If I cook it consist of something thrown in the crockpot or a frozen meal. Well, you know, not frozen when I eat it!! lol...Okay, so did hubs just figured you could handle it all without him or what? Maybe you should not cook for him for a while and see how that goes over..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd probably sit there and starve. lol What happened to my guy who used to help out?

      Delete
  9. Any instance where one has to discard chocolate is very, very sad. My mom makes a couple of meals for her and dad that involve a large pan, lots of vegetables (yuck!) and very high heat. Dad's usually at the ready with a step stool and towel to silence the smoke detector. I'm quickly learning that mom appreciates dad's former career as a professional cook and baker.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!