Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Y is for Yarrow - a Perennial Delight

It’s been many years since I first started perennial gardens. My main and consistent goal to attract insects and birds, I never realized that yarrow provides medicinal properties. For now, I will focus solely on what I know most about.

Yarrow is very draught tolerant and could have been mentioned in my post for the letter X (xeriscaping). The flowers are sturdy, meaning they don’t require a lot of effort and last quite a long time. And they sure attract butterflies. My original plants are long gone, I’m sorry to say. Strangely, I rather forgot about them until thinking of a topic for the letter Y.

So, thank you A to Z blog organizers! I’m off to the garden store to see what might be in stock. The color range of this hardy plant has probably expanded since my initial foray into gardening. Should be interesting.

What new and exciting thing are you looking forward to?

-

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know the name so I Googled it and I straight away recognised the plant! I also now know it's called Achillea millefolium although I'll probably forget it again in a few minutes time!
    Keith's Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that information. If I knew at one time, I'd forgotten, and that's a cool name. Best wishes!

      Delete
  2. I used to make tea from yarrow plants that grew on the side of a hill near my dorm room in college. They help ease menstrual cramps and help the flow, and I had dreadful cramps at that age. I've since learned that wildcrafting like that can sometimes be dangerous because one doesn't know whether the fields are sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals, so I stopped doing it, but I miss that. I'd love to take a plant identification course or five now that I'm in the Midwest and there are all sorts of different plants to explore and get to know.

    Great post, Darla! Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the challenge so far. Only one more day to go! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe the month is nearly over. And thank you for sharing your herbal wisdom. Unfortunately, I have not been able to ween myself from professional lawn care. The firm I employ is about the best for limiting chemicals, but in a perfect world I'd go entirely organic. Thanks for all the support!

      Delete
  3. Achilles painted himself with tincture of yarrow to make himself invulnerable (at least in some versions of the myth). What a lovely plant.

    Drusilla Barron
    http://lovedasif.com
    http://glamofgod.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! I had no idea. Both your blogs are awesome, by the way.

      Delete
  4. Hmm I learned something today, I didn't know the name of that plant until I read your post and search on Google for the picture.Yarrow grows wild in Alaska, I do have some in my yard. It would be nice to get some other color than just the common one.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. One more day of A-Z challenge. Have fun!
    www.mylifewithphotographs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy visiting your blog, my dear. I got to spend a week in Alaska and loved it. I sometimes fantasize about living in some creek-side cabin with a retired sled dog. ~grin~ I hope you have fun, as well! Happy blogging.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!