Saturday, April 11, 2015

J is for Judge Dredd - I Am the Law

I do not know how many of you are familiar with the British comic book “2000 AD”. In it, the future United States has become a nuclear ravaged dystopia where an unemployed and bored populace crowds in huge megacity apartment blocks. Some residents never leave them.

If they do, Judges are ready to serve up instantaneous street justice. Judge Joe Dredd is toughest of them all.

Delightful Kiwi actor Karl Urban blessed us in 2012 with a portrayal of the lawman that helped remove the bad taste leftover from the 1995 travesty. Sylvester Stallone might have done okay except for one glaring mistake. Ask any Judge Dredd geek and they’ll tell you that he never takes off his helmet in the story panels.

Never, ever. Dredd is the antithesis of that character Wilson Wilson Junior in the nineties era TV series “Home Improvement” who never showed his chin. Judge Dredd is all about the chin.

That wonderful, stern, craggy chin - almost a character in and of itself.

Unfortunately, the expense of having that weekly comic shipped became too costly. I have not tried to find any domestic periodical to replace it. Are there any comic book fans out there with a suggestion? I’d be interested to know.

-

8 comments:

  1. When I was younger I used to read comics all the time, but that was because my cousin Jimmy was a huge fan. I started reading them just because it pissed him off that even touched his precious periodicals but I grew to love them. There is a comic book store near me. Maybe I'll look in there to see what they have. Thanks for bringing it up :) Happy Saturday

    Leela Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. ~grin~ I hope you have fun shopping. Thanks for stopping by! Now I'm off to read your post. I know it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having been a comic fan since the days I read kiddie's ones, I can't help! I imagine though Karl Urban is perfect for the role, but as for Sylvester Stallone I can't understand why he is so popular as an actor! Each for his or her own I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment. You made me grin. And I'm reminded of a favorite kiddie comic from my youth, Hot Stuff the Little Devil. ~grin~ Seeing him bizarrely dressed in a diaper still tickles me.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Stuff_the_Little_Devil

      Have a lovely day! I look forward to the ficlet you create for tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that about his helmet! :) Great to know.

    ~hangs head~ I loved Sly's portrayal, though. My guilty secret. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good to know. ~grin~ Thanks for the fun post!

      Delete
  5. I know of Judge Dredd, but haven't read it regularly. Guess that's because it isn't accessible here in print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. Thank you for joining in. I understand that the comics are available as e-books but don't know how well that would work. My gardening magazine is hard to read on my Kindle Fire as it is. Best wishes!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!