Monday, April 13, 2015

K is for Knowledge - A Safe Driving Tip

I saw a safety tip the other day that just begged to be shared. It seems like common sense yet never occurred to me.

You know the blind spot that plagues drivers everywhere? The problem would not be so bad if people knew how their side view mirrors were meant to be set.

In short, you should not be able to see any part of your car in those mirrors. When you see your vehicle there is an overlapping reflection provided between them and the rear view mirror over your head. Once you angle those door mounted mirrors out far enough, you realize how they pick up much more to the side and behind where you really need the assist.

Cracked.com, the comedy website, first introduced me to the concept. And I’m grateful because there is a noticeable difference when I’m driving. I simply adjusted mine based on the Cracked article but here is a link with details in case you are interested:

How to Set Rear‐View Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

-

10 comments:

  1. I shall bear that in mind. Trouble is I won't be able to keep an eye on my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thanks i did not know that ! I will have to keep it in mind from now on, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I hope this little tip keeps you safer. Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. I tried that, but had a problem, because I judge distances off of my car image and even though I could "see" in my blind spot, I didn't really know where the blind spot was so didn't know where the car was and that messed me up! But good advice for those who aren't as "needy" as I am! Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog! Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you drive safely and doubt that you are "needy". I have discovered that the new mirror alignment takes adjustment. Whew! "Alignment" took a few times to spell correctly and I think I'm a writer! I kept wanting to add more letters. Anyway, I wish you well and enjoyed your post immensely. Thank you in addition for co-hosting the blog.

      Delete
  4. :) That's absolutely right, Darla! I used to drive a two-wheeler - a scooter and found that just adjusting the angle of the mirrors makes a world of difference.

    Love those cracked.com guys - been a subscriber for several years now and get my dose of laughter on a regular basis.

    Great tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you take safety precautions. And how fun that you enjoy cracked.com! I am about to read the article "7 Musicians Whose Trademark Looks Were Hiding Something." ~grin~ Blessings to you and yours, my dear.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh..will need to check that when I get home. Or, you can be like me and drive somehing big and old and everybody gets outa my way. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!