Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for Flowers - Hurray for Spring!

On Thursday, March 12 of 2015 I started taking regular, compulsive walks around my gardens. Quite frankly, it amazes me every spring how quickly my flowering bulbs emerge and flourish. I can check every few hours to note further progress.

After the extreme cold of our 2013-14 winter, I didn’t see quite as many return from the prior fall’s planting. So far I’m seeing better growth this spring. And that’s after another extreme in temperatures. Maybe my bulbs came from a better grower. I don’t know.

Then again, this area also had more consistent snow cover than in 2014. Surprisingly, snow actually helps insulate overwintering plants. It’s another astonishing fact about nature. Personally, I learn something new every growing season. Now I am looking forward to mid May when I should be able to plant vegetables and annual flowers.

Until then I hope you are enjoying new growth, whatever form it takes. Is there something new and exciting in your part of the world?

-

6 comments:

  1. Just today, when we went out in the morning, I was admiring the fresh new leaves on the bare trees, Darla. Also, this is the time of year when we see a profusion of yellow, mauve, red, pink and white flowers all over the place. It is like heaven on earth. Strangely, even though the weather is blisteringly warm, somehow the sight of these bright flowers is so uplifting! So happy you came over to my blog!

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the beauty around you. I am glad we still have cool weather for now in my little corner of the world. It made weeding my perennial beds this morning much more pleasant than it will be in several weeks (at least I hope the heat holds off for a while!). Stay cool, my dear. And you have a wonderful blog, by the way. It's a joy to visit.

      Delete
  2. It was really chilly today, and I dressed poorly for it. I had gotten spoiled with mild weather last week. I've been walking to work, though, and what I'm seeing right now are gardeners tidying their plots and trees putting out buds. It makes me anxious for the season to start.

    The squirrels are coming out in droves, and I've been tickled pink to listen to the cardinals sing - my grandfather taught me their distinctive whistle and, to this day, it makes me think of visiting them in Akron, Ohio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you got chilled. Weather can definitely catch us off guard. I'm so proud of you for walking!

    There is a pair of white squirrels a few blocks from my house. I cannot tell if they are albino or not, but I saw them work toward making baby squirrels. ~grin~ As for birds, I just told my partner how to recognize cardinal songs! Mom taught me just like her dad did for her. What a neat memory for us to have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are scampering about while the weather is nice for it! Please keep an eye on those white squirrels for us.
    Nutmeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will! I really like your blog, by the way. And thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!