Wednesday, April 15, 2015

M is for Marilyn Manson - Music to My Ears

In the mid 2000’s I got hooked on reading autobiographies of rockstars. Then I found the biography of Brian Warner (aka Marilyn Manson) from 1999. “The Long Hard Road Out of Hell” hooked me completely with Mr. Warner’s irreverent humor and obvious intelligence.

Not even finished with the book, I went out and bought his most recent album of the time, “Eat Me, Drink Me.” Then I sought the band’s first album, “Portrait of an American Family”. That led to an obsessive desire to own everything I could get my hands on, music or otherwise.

My partner refers to that time in our lives as somewhat frightening and also really, really fun. Interesting eBay purchases arrived in the mail on an almost daily basis. My MM music collection is so extensive that I had to create subcategories on iTunes such as for live performances, interviews, and rarities. Meanwhile, I recently purchased “The Pale Emperor” and have to say the band is in fine form.

Marilyn Manson is far from my only music, but certainly takes up the most space. What are you listening to these days?

-

8 comments:

  1. When I'm writing? Classical. In the car? Pop type stuff . When entertaining? Jazz. I believe that's called an eclectic mix! The only MM I've got is a collection of Marilyn Monroe movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Keith. I've been letting my iPod go on random lately to keep me on my toes. A classical movement might be followed by a traditional Moroccan tune, then maybe the one and only Johnny Cash, or a soundtrack piece, and sometimes even a birdsong sample from the Stokes field guide. ~grin~

      Delete
  2. Darla, I still love music from the 70s like Little River Band. Also enjoy smooth jazz like Lee Ritenour. Something I discovered from my starbucks app, where they give you free songs, is the Hot Sardines. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some greats from the seventies, for sure. And thanks for some new sounds to check out! My jazz collection could use an expansion, actually. I really appreciate you for so kindly stopping by and leaving a comment. Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I know that feeling, Darla. I became like that over Prince's works at one time and these days, I am so relieved it can all be digital. I am overwhelmed with the variety of music available to me - Indian and Western, classical and pop and completely revel in it. Powercut? No problem. I have a singing husband and son. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your loved ones sing? Truly a blessing. Half of my family can, but Dad and one brother can't carry a tune in a bucket. ~grin~ That's neat you mention Prince, because I've been wanting to see "Purple Rain" again and get that soundtrack for my collection. ~hugs~

      Delete
  4. I like all kinds of music - but I fear I haven't journeyed much into heavy metal! I might give Marilyn Manson a listen - but he might make my ears bleed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You made me grin. Mechanical Animals might be the most melodic album if you want a recommendation. Thanks so much for stopping by. Your blog is awesome, so I'm extra glad for the A to Z challenge.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!