Tuesday, April 14, 2015

L is for Luna, My Beloved Pet

October 5, 2014 went down in my personal history as a very sad day. The stray cat who forever changed my life finally left it after a brief and heroic battle against cancer. I enjoy much better quality of life thanks to that gray and white moggy. Her intrepid demand to enter my heart and home literally improved my health, as lifelong asthmatic symptoms responded well to the new medications her presence demanded I try.

Luna ultimately opened the door to two other rescue cats. I sadly never saw them act terribly close with Luna but honestly believe that my “first born” wanted nothing else in this world but to be with me. Her life certainly never revolved around food like another cat I know (you know who you are, my sweet and goofy Tilly). She slept on my pillow each night, bounded downstairs to the laundry room every washday, and snuggled on my lap at just about every single opportunity including her very last morning on this earthly plane.

For a few glorious years I joked about being a living futon. If there is such a thing as an afterlife, I hope to somehow resume that duty. Either way it was an honor knowing her.

-

15 comments:

  1. A sad yet lovely story. Such companionship is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant to thank you as a reply, not a separate comment. ~rolls eyes~ At any rate, your comment means a lot to me, as mentioned. Best wishes to you, and please keep up with your wonderful flash fiction.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me cry. It reminds me of my Belii. I honestly believe his purpose in life was to teach me how to accept love.

    I'm so very sorry for your loss, and your tribute to her moved me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you for the sweet reply, dear. ~hugs~ I wish I could have met Belii.

      Delete
  4. Darla, so sorry that you lost your kitty. In the past 2 years we lost 2 cats and a bunny. It's not easy, but I know we will see them all again some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Bless your hearts. I thought I had a rough year. Thank you greatly for your kind words. They really touched me. Best wishes!

      Delete
  5. Oh, hugs, Darla. When my son was little, he used to often ask - why do people make "being human" so special? Animals are so much more loving...unconditionally. :) I really had no answer, because I've wondered much the same thing. I made sure, though, that I never again called someone a "pig" or referred to any other animal...because that would be such a disservice to that being!

    I'll bet Luna meeowed lovingly at this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the beautiful reply, my friend. I agree with your assessment. Snakes are people, too. ~grin~ I had a corn snake as a pet years ago and found the serpent understood when I tried to help him shed his skin! Instead of biting me, he hooked his neck around the faucet and pulled in the opposite direction as I tugged toward his tail. Teamwork between a girl and a snake. Who knew?

      Delete
  6. She's waiting for you..keeping a warm spot on a soft sofa in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the sweet words. She sure did like to curl up in the sunlight.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to read about your sweet kitty. We lost our 18-year-old cat to old age just a month ago, which is sad, but it's how it's supposed to be. I wish pets didn't get cancer :-( Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. My heart goes out to you, as well.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy you two found each other and especially that she found a kind place of refuge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from such a lovely cat advocate, that really means a lot. You brought tears to my eyes. I thought about that little feline just this morning, almost as soon as I woke.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!