Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A is for ActivTrax – Motivation to Move

Kicking off our A to Z April blog challenge, ActivTrax fitness software seemed ideal. The service, available at my local YMCA, is almost like having a personal trainer. Though you do have to provide your own motivation. (Thankfully, I have that. At least for the time being. ~crosses fingers~) An initial strength evaluation with a health club staff member got me started. She took my information and set up an online account.

Using the software is easy as pie. Of course, the exercise itself is a challenge. That’s the whole point. Sometimes, however, the challenge extends beyond healthy.

For example, I once tried inadvertently to enact a scene from the movie “Dodgeball”. Like pulleys mangled poor Justin Long, the elastic Resist-a-Band basically mauled me. After two embarrassingly awkward attempts, I listed that little piece of malevolent equipment as a restricted exercise. The same goes for stability balls. I’m sorry, but breaking my neck is not on my agenda.

Now that I’ve been doing this for a while I feel pretty fantastic, mentally and physically. Both swimming and the weekly outdoor walks Julia Cameron prescribes in her “Artist’s Way” workshops fit nicely into days I don’t visit the YMCA.

I’m thankful for the ability and energy to do this. It is certainly good for a writer to get out of her head now and then. Don’t you agree?

-

10 comments:

  1. There are days I feel like my Fitbit is snickering at me. I work from home so there are days where I sit at my desk working all day then I look up and think "have I really been sitting here for six straight hours?" So, good for you for getting up and moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I honestly have the time and just needed the will. Fortunately, this turned out to be an excellent way. Best wishes to you.

      Delete
  2. I get out of my head and out of my way when I hike or do yoga. I always seem to get tangled up in machines, so free weights and step seem to work for me best at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! The darn software is still trying to get me to do situps on a stability ball. ~snicker~ Oh, well. We do what we can, eh?

      Delete
    2. I actually fell off a stability ball - at work! - while stretching. I had my arms open wide and was stretching those chest muscles that get all sore from computer use. I lost my balance and went over backwards on my head, but managed to wedge myself between my desk and the wall.

      Thank gods no one was in the office at the time, or I'd've died of embarrassment.

      Fear the stability ball. Fear it! ~giggle~

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you weren't hurt.

      Delete
  3. I love that this is working so well for you. It sounds fantastic!

    And I agree, I love walking too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I should walk today. It's so nice outside. Been busy writing for Camp NaNo as well as doing this. ~grin~ It's been a fun start to the month.

      Delete
    2. Turns out that I'm too tired from this morning's workout and cleaning house. :P Oh, well. If weather worsens tomorrow I like walking in the rain with an umbrella, anyway.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!