Friday, March 9, 2018

Language Lesson



Photo Courtesy of Locuig at Pixabay
Wednesday evening, a friend withdrew from the brink of tragedy. He knows pain will always be there, but a lessening occurred after he shared this crisis, enough to give some relief. New photos actually showed this in his face, for which Im thankful.

He added that he didn’t want to read too much into it, which I took to perhaps mean two things. First, he probably doesn’t have true hope the minor improvement will last. In addition, I don’t believe he has faith in a higher power and considers the improvement a coincidence. He does have writing projects lined up for this year, so let’s hope that gives him the will to continue on.

Meanwhile, writing in my journal about him and his presumed lack of faith, I wondered if ‘coincidence’ has its root in ‘coincide’. Considering that the latter indicates parallel situations (no added proof or faith required) while the former alludes to happenstance, I found this interesting, proof I am also a language geek. ~grin~ No surprise there, eh?

Am I right about almost the exact same word having rather opposite meanings? Or is this incidental, anecdotal theorizing?

-

10 comments:

  1. Whatever works for him. It doesn't matter what we think about someone else's situation. The only opinion that matters is the opinion of the person it's happening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to have mislead you, I was asking about my opinion on the root of the word. Heh... Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I think there is comfort in faith. I know that works for me.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem like they have the opposite meaning, that is odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you think. I contemplated this after you asked what I thought. It is interesting. The English language is said to be one of the most complex.
    So, you are a Geek? Well, I am a Dork. It is no coincidence that our love of words, cats, music, and fellow earthlings coincide. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Language is fascinating! I'm a bit of my geek about that kind of stuff too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised? ~grin~ Be well, my dear!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!