Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Rewritten Word


I have been rewriting and polishing my decade old novelette series in a never-ending loop of late. Maybe the stories will one day be submitted to a publisher but for now my love-children are my own. I don’t feel ready to share.

The process has been enjoyable due to that love of my characters. I have improved their story arc, making their relationships less perfect, their natures less passive and more realistic.

Believe me when I say it’s more fun writing epic arguments than having them. And still the prose tightens.

It amazes me how many passes I have made and still find extraneous words: almost, seeming, now, about. A few pesky adverbs even turn up now and then. ‘Extremely aggressive’ is overkill, the word aggressive quite adequate describing a disease. Don’t you agree?

Do you have any current projects undertaken for the pure purpose of self improvement and pleasure? I’d like to hear about them.

I’m off now, having started rereading book twelve.

-

10 comments:

  1. Nice....I have always wanted to be able to write but my scattered brain has things all over the place so I just can't seem to get it going! Enjoy your rewriting and your stories, you will share when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! You have so many talents. Maybe writing will come along down the road. ~hugs~ As for me, I have a dream of someday sharing all the stories for free and asking for donations if the reader enjoys them. No comments would be allowed, of course, to prevent trolling. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  2. Have you submitted these to critique partners. At a certain point, you need other eyes on the things. I know my writing group has helped my novel. (Well, helped me realize that I need to rewrite the whole thing, so it's shelved for the moment, but they did let me know what was wrong with it. I knew there was a problem, but I hadn't been able to put my finger on it until now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, my dear. I have not actively sought a critique partner. There is a community I trust not to trash me like a long ago "mentor". However, those most likely to appreciate my stories are too busy getting published. ~grin~ For now I'm happy writing for my enjoyment alone.

      Delete
  3. This is a labour of love. Enjoy it, and be careful to not over think it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ~hugs~ Other opinions have no meaning to me at this point.

      Delete
  4. I am impressed with all the editing you are doing. I am not that patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about having time and love, my dear. My patience runs dry in many other arenas. Thanks for the kind word!

      Delete
  5. Once I start editing I can't stop! Often my original tale ends up totally different from the one I started with. For that reason I recently decided to go with my first thoughts and leave them alone!

    Click to visit Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! My core story remains, just better, I'm happy to say. Happy writing!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!