Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Numerous Flights & My Latest Kitchen Failure

Hearing a raucous sound outside my house, I knew this couldn’t be children on a playground despite the instant comparison. We live a mile or so from the nearest school and temperatures ranged far, far below freezing that day. The volume increased more and more. At last the individual honks could be heard.

The previous day I saw large Canada geese flocks heading south. This has to have been the biggest yet. Those birds no longer migrate from Ohio so they must have had enough of the cold. I don’t blame them.

My latest failure happened in the kitchen. A YouTuber we respect shares store-bought food breakdowns and recipes he deems either budget friendly or healthy. We were excited to try his version of egg foo young. Well, I didn’t detect anything but bland eggs, mushy vegetables, and salt. And the mess… well, you can see for yourself.

The gravy would not thicken with my cornstarch slurry,
then boiled over; other surfaces and pans were equally a mess. Ugh...

I think frozen peas would have been fine but not the cubed carrots. And I should have used a cast iron pan for consistent heat plus more oil for the desired fluffy texture. Some turned out undercooked, others rather burnt, and the mixture lacked enough eggs. Oh, well. Today my husband ate some crappy leftovers, declaring it fine. I’d rather stick to the easily ordered oily restaurant kind. It’s not like we eat this more than a few times per year.

Did you know these Chinese style omelets were created by 1900’s era Cantonese immigrants for American palettes? Are you a fan of any ethnic foods tailored to your regional tastes or do you prefer more authentic cuisine?

-

14 comments:

  1. Dearest Darla,
    Oh my, we can be glad that we're not a lady chef having to serve perfect looking meals to people...
    But it could be worse!
    I've cooked lots of food for larger groups and also tried authentic Indian, Indonesian or Italian cuisine next to my own Dutch...
    Those geese certainly did send a message!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I prefer westernised Asian food, but I don't think our local Indian food is very westernised and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hear those geese lots here. I tend to prefer the more authentic cuisine, lots gets lots in translation with the southern deep fried stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how many "foreign" dishes were actually created here by immigrants. Our American cuisine is so varied now, and we can now get so many amazing dishes from other cultures that are authentic. But I still stick to a few tried and true staples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I have a friend who will only eat hamburgers and fries; there's no shame in that. :D

      Delete
  5. We love all kinds of ethnic dishes. Authentic is far better.

    Have a fabulous day cleaning up that mess. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely easier to just buy it. I am too lazy to even attempt it-kuddos to you for trying. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. ~hugs~ But I wouldn't call you lazy, my dear. :D

      Delete
  7. Oh jeez, that stove looks like ours on mom's heavy cooking/baking days! Don't tell her I said that. Dad says that where he works now, there are two ponds on either side of the property, and he's lost count of the noisy squawkers that party and leave their, umm, green & white messes everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!