Sunday, January 21, 2024

The Sweet and the Tangy

I’m happy to report that Dandelion has not avoided me since she came out of hiding yesterday afternoon. I will not attempt peering into her ears for a few days. She really is a sweet kitty.

As for the tang in my title, I discovered an easy recipe on the inside of a Philadelphia cream cheese box for mini lemon-ginger cheesecakes. One ingredient I didn’t recognize is lemon curd.

These folks charge $12.95(US) per jar!
A quick search answered my question and uncovered a recipe for making instead of buying it. Believing homemade is best I also do not plan to purchase ginger snap cookies for the cheesecake bottom “crusts”.

I cooked up the curd yesterday and ate some in my morning yogurt, also homemade. lol Yum! I plan to freeze and vacuum seal most of the curd since my husband bought ingredients for banana chocolate whole wheat muffins.

He baked them in the 2000’s and I’d take some to my office. I still joke that the guys stampeding from the factory floor put me in danger; they were that popular a treat.

Funny enough, I’ll be freezing and sealing some upcoming muffins plus both my lemon juice and zest had been processed from fresh fruit, then frozen and sealed. It’s so rewarding being able to preserve bargain food purchases.

A key to using my FoodSaver is freezing the food stuffs first. Before learning this I ruined some packages via liquid breaking the seal in progress. So far nothing has gotten irredeemably freezer burned.

Besides meats, fruits, and vegetables, baked goods should be pre-frozen. I once crushed room temperature corn muffins. Hitting the seal button early would have prevented this. ~rolls eyes~ Thawed, my muffin pucks at least tasted fine.

Is it silly that I enjoy running my FoodSaver? Should we offer some of those banana chocolate muffins to neighbors?

-

19 comments:

  1. Only offer muffins to neighbours if you really really like them. Otherwise, why deprive yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some lovely neighbors, plus some new ones. :D I like the idea of a welcome gift.

      - Darla Sands

      Delete
  2. HA! I smashed some muffins in the Food Saver bags too and yes, they did still taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Darla,
    Glad that Dandelion still does trust you!
    We always are worried when having to do something to our kitties, like giving them their monthly (+) squeeze of Advantage Multi. We lost one of our kitties at the young age of 3.5 because our then female vet had not given us the real multi, including heart worm. That broke our hearts! We had an autopsy done to know sure. Since then I've always ordered them myself so I know it is the correct mix.
    You are quite a baker and active person in the kitchen. I'm not anymore since the accident. But I have been very active before and did make anything myself.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for all your losses, both pets and regarding your health. Hugs indeed to you, dear Mariette.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like your FoodSaver is your favorite toy. That it's useful too is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd save those muffins. Just saying.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love lemon curd.. I make the kids lemon cream cheese french toast using this on Sundays and they make a great lemon mousse as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to have discovered it. A little spread on graham crackers is a delicious treat, too. :D Be well!

      - Darla

      Delete
  7. In the eight days that I have been in this house due to snow, I have baked bread, made rock candy and made blueberry cookies. I gotta get out soon. HAHA...but I slice my bread, and freeze it. Just a few slices in a bag at a time. I do the same with cookies and whatever sort of meals I make. If I make soup, I eat on it a few days then I freeze it. On days I don't want to cook, I then pull a meal from the freezer. I made white bean and ham soup the other day, I am going to have some for lunch again then I am going to put in bags and freeze a meal at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight days? I'm not sure we would mind so much. lol But good on you for freezing foods for later eats. Blueberry cookies sound amazing. Hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Heh... Thanks and best wishes, Darla

      Delete
  9. Those muffins sound good- your neighbors would have to be very, very special to share. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have new neighbors as well as very good long time residents so they'd probably all be worth it. :) Hugs, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!