Saturday, January 13, 2024

Blue Meanie Blues

While driving my husband last Thursday I saw a dashboard warning light on our beloved 2017 Chevrolet Volt, nicknamed the Blue Meanie, but said nothing until an alarm sounded. We went on with our lunch plans hoping it was a glitch. Alas, our OnStar service’s remote diagnostic showed the electric hybrid’s battery recharging module faulty.

I really embraced the Yellow Submarine esthetic...
At home the air started to smell like a hot oven. Suspicious, I backed Blue Meanie out of the garage and discovered heat emanating through the left front fender next to the charging port. Lifting the hood, I could only hope the hot spots cooled down.
That mysterious tank circled in red held hot fluid...

Eventually I felt comfortable pulling into the garage
without risking fire. While the hybrid vehicle can run
on gasoline alone we didn’t want to take chances and
called a tow truck the next day. Our OnStar
subscription also covers roadside assistance four times
a year, which is awesome, and scheduling was easy
via a smart phone app.

The friendly driver did a good job securing ‘her’ on his
flatbed and an email notified us when the dealership
repair shop took custody Friday afternoon for our
Monday morning appointment. Blessedly, my husband
gambled on paying for an extended warranty when we
got the car in 2019, so everything should be covered.

This whole experience with current technology, while
convenient, makes me wonder if I should seek out a
make and model from my youth. Perhaps my high
school auto shop class would keep it on the road in case
of catastrophe.

As it is, I might as well have signed up for “The Care
and Feeding of Your Wooly Mammoth”.

Isn’t it rather pathetic I consulted the car’s manual
before I could lift the hood? Doesn’t the engine
compartment look like one of Elon Musk’s science
fair projects?

-

18 comments:

  1. I think back to the sixties and how much space surrounded car engines, except those damn Morris Mini Minors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have needed to check the manual too. Very wise to get the extended warranty. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all is well that ends well and that everything is covered. That heat sounds scary to me and I would have looked in the manual too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Darla,
    Cars can surprise us and also be very costly.
    Sounds like you managed it well and it was great for having 'her' towed off into the dealership's repair shop.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cars cost for repairs these days like never before and the bad thing about it, you can't find a backyard mechanic to work on what really might be a minor issue, but will cost when taking it to a dealership. Computers in cars can be worse than the ones you use at home. I used to change my plugs and oil myself, now there are no plugs and the oil cost more to change yourself then taking it to a shop. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Glad it didn't burn down your house. I haven't heard of cars charging inside a garage burning down the house but sure have heard the stories about charging electric bikes and fires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you've never opened the hood before (or even if it's been a while), there's no shame in consulting the manual. It takes a while to remember how to do those sorts of things. I hope it's an easy (and cheap) fix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad everything turned out okay and your husband had the extended warranty.. these things get pricey quick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...you've been through it. The Bus will be by to pick you up at 5:32. Listen for the meow horn. And several kitties and their mom's too if they come are staying over night and one kitty, Precious, is wearing her baby doll jammies. Be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the space. :) I just need to wash blankets and have them clean and warm. What's the departure time so I have breakfast ready for everyone?

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!