Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Luckier Than We Knew; An Auto Update

This morning my husband shared a website regarding a class action lawsuit against General Motors over defective BECM units, or Battery Energy Control Modules. Our used GM ‘certified’ model utilized this small yet vital part. While I experienced minor propulsion hesitation on surface (suburban) streets other owners/renters weren’t so fortunate.


Some dangerous accidents occurred at freeway speeds. Between 2016 and 2019 many less traumatized folks waited weeks or months (!) for repairs due to a lack of replacement parts and skilled technicians. Even worse, General Motors reneged on their promise to reimburse alternate transport costs while continuing production and certifying used vehicles. Sad to report, I’m reading such ongoing frustration here.

Lucky us, our dealership collision/repair center accessed the improved BECM unit and we picked up our repaired 2017 Volt today. We think this failure took several years because the previous owner never ran the hybrid vehicle on battery power. I’m so happy this fix came at no added financial cost and the failure should never recur.

Can you believe our good fortune? Do you think current supply chain issues, etc. are causing other Volt owners delays?

-

15 comments:

  1. WOW, good for you, it does sound like you have the luck of a good place to deal with for repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lucky on your part. Glad that issue is now cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Darla,
    Your husband is a GOOD READER for catching this!
    Congrats to you both.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It was like winning the lottery. Best wishes and hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  5. Shocking to hear about the widespread problems with the BECM units. I'm thrilled that you were able to get your Volt repaired with the improved BECM unit at no cost, and hopefully, that marks the end of your trouble. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a good guardian angel. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually believe I have a team. lol Recalling some of the stupider things I've done it's a miracle I'm still alive. Hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you got this resolved so quickly. You're lucky you didn't have an accident because of this. Even better.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!