Friday, December 29, 2023

Minor Disappointments – & – My (Spoiler Alert) “Renfield” Movie Review

Yesterday I tried a new recipe that seemed so promising and well… was not. A sauce containing honey, raisins, pine nuts, and smoked Spanish paprika took a fastidious effort as I carefully measured out each ingredient. Sad to say, my husband and I found it lacking, perhaps acidity from citrus or tomato. Nothing stood out except what I considered an overly smoky flavor.

However good or bad this looks to you,
my guy praised my presentation...

And while he thought his lightly fried cod fillet was fine, mine seemed half raw. I hate to admit that I tossed out the last few bites. At least the fish, if indeed undercooked, didn’t make me ill.

Oh, well. We like to remember that never having a failure would make the successes less celebratory.

Moving on, I was excited to watch the movie “Renfield” on Amazon Prime. The only high point was Nicolas Cage nailing his Dracula role. For him alone I am glad we watched but the remaining so-called humor fell flat, the comedic plot points forced.

The characterizations were fine. Renfield himself was rather endearing. And Iranian/American actress Shohreh Aghdashloo is always a joy; I adore her husky voice and powerful feminine presence. But while I don’t blame actress Nora Lum, Officer Rebecca grated on our nerves.

Its thin plot would have benefitted from better cohesion. More Nic Cage scenes would have definitely helped. On a final note, Renfield’s enjoyable exposition struck me as random. It’s as if the writers were being lazy.

Are you familiar with Ms. Lum’s musical and/or film performances? Doesn’t her stage name Awkwafina sound like bottled water marketed to gawky teenagers?

-

22 comments:

  1. I never heard of Ms. Lum but I've heard of cod LOL! Oh well, at least you now know what you're not gonna cook next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice presentation. I have not heard of that actress. As much of a Nic Cage fan as I am, I am not watching a vampire movie. I missed his first one too where he eats a cockroach. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His first vampire movie was depressing, to be honest. This was funny; I wish you'd give it a try despite the gore. Blessings, my dear.

      Delete
  3. awkwafina---I like the name. Sorry the movie was a bust. That recipe picture looks delicious, sorry it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. We can't win them all. lol Best wishes!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, the first time I heard the name Awkwafina I thought it was bottled water. But I have heard worse names. Sorry the movie disappointed. I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I live in a place where first world problems are my biggest disappointment. lol Be well!

      Delete
  5. I am not aware of Ms. Lum. I hate when I think something sounds good and I make it but its not like I thought it would be. But then again, I don't try a lot of new stuff when it comes to cooking anymore. I like basic, easy, one pot meals. LOVE the crock pot. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had comments brewing as I read until I got to your last line and started smiling..well, laughing. I LOVED that comment and it sure DOES sound like bottled water! Thanks for my first open out-loud laugh of the day. XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, liked your description of the sauce. I would never have tried that in any case. I detest paprika after having had an "overdose" of it in Germany trying to stand the jagerschnitzel. That guesthouse owner laid on a can of paprika I think. The sauce was thick with a capitol T! And red as a crayon with paprika. Oh, it made me so sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the dish tasted how it tasted to you, but dad says the photo is Food & Wine-worthy! Happy New Year, Darla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recipe trials some times don't work out the way we want. Happens! No, not familiar with Ms. Lum’s musical and/or film performances. Must check out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we stopped bye two say de cod waz cooked two purrfect🐟
    ya canna go wrong with cod…cooked, raw, seered, fresh off de line, half baked ore in sauce ‼️‼️🐟. happee mew yeer everee one and heerz hopin each day bringz sum thi. grate yur way 🐟🐟😺‼️💚

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!