Saturday, December 23, 2023

Holiday Cheer – & – Fun Experiments with Food

A block away from my usual turn toward the main road I kept noticing an adorable holiday display and finally drove past for a photo. The tiny gingerbread house (far left) in particular caught my attention.

As usual, my image does not do this justice...

Meanwhile, we continue shopping bargains and a huge bag of potatoes inspired me to try cooking potato pancakes. Well, it didn’t work as planned yesterday; the patties wouldn’t retain their shape despite my best efforts and strict adherence to ingredients/directions. That’s okay. The tasty potato shreds fried with mushrooms and scrambled eggs won’t go to waste.

Today’s test came from my husband discovering store bought apple pie on sale. I’d rather bake something myself. We already had canned fried apples bought on sale many months ago and newer frozen pastry sheets. A quick search fitted the two perfectly. You can find the easy recipe here including an amusing story.

To my surprise, mine turned out as pretty...

Do you enjoy fruity confections? Are you familiar with turbinado sugar and its difference from other varieties?

-

15 comments:

  1. That's a pretty Christmas display! The apple delight looks most delightful, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And thank you. Be well, my dear.
      - Darla

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you've found ways to entertain yourself. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute gingerbread house. That looks so tasty and pretty too. xO

    ReplyDelete

  4. The only way I can get potato or zuchinni pancakes to hold together is to put them in the frig on parchment paper a few hours after forming them into flat patties. You did a woven crust on your pies? I've never gone that far, too lazy I guess. That's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! And the woven crust used a cheat. lol Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. I do not know that sugar. I will have to study up on that. ot sure what you mean by fruit confections, but I love fruit pies, fruit mixed together, don't do a lot of sugar on my fruits though. My mom used to make tater cakes with left over creamed taters. Love them, mix onions, flour and an egg in it and all is well. I found Bob Evans pre creamed taters and they are like the real thing. Easier than peeling and creaming. LOL.....lazy! lol,...Have seen a lot of lights around, lots of decor but I have been too busy to take pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have definitely been busy. Hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  6. merree christmas anda pawsum awesum mew yeer two ewe all !♥
    wavez two ewe sno man dood !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so kind. Thanks for the tip about coconut palm sugar. That's awesome!
    Blessings and Merry Christmas, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!