Thursday, August 31, 2023

The Truth About the Food Pyramid

Andrew from The High Rise wondered why I criticized the food pyramid following my frustrated comment condemning the matter. I appreciate his query. For anyone unaware, this issue deserves addressing.


Put simply, the above diagrammed dietary recommendations that I grew up with were designed for food shortages. Now that I have type II diabetes, I know a balanced diet should be low in carbohydrates.

A few years back my brother and his wife went on the paleo diet resembling what ancient hunter/gatherers ate and felt healthier for the difficult changes. Now the more stringent carnivore diet eliminates all plant based foods.

Giving up meat and becoming vegetarian or vegan isn’t happening. But I just devoured leftover pizza, and sure I have some regret, but no way are my husband or I throwing fruit and vegetables out the door.

Can you believe I failed tried a fasting diet in my teens? Do you think these current ideas are junk science, modern fads?

As a bonus for the curious, the following video is a clip from “Clone High”, a science fiction adult animated series. Wow. Say that three times fast. Anyway, here is an animated Marilyn Manson singing about the food pyramid.



-

11 comments:

  1. The Food Pyramid, HA! If the government recommends it count me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self serve at the dinner table improved out diets and especially reduced the amount of food we ate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only learned about fasting diets 2 years ago and I had some success with it. The book Eat Feat Repeat was very helpful. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every diet seems to be recycled. Go back 10-20 years (or 30 or 40) and they still exist, albeit with a different name. Fruits and vegetables should definitely still be a part of your diet. (When I hear of limiting carbs, I think of limiting breads and pastas and cakes and cookies. Not the healthy vegetables.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you have diabetes. Good old Marilyn Manson. I remember his shock your parents hits like Dead Babies.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!