Friday, August 25, 2023

Birds of a Feather Stick Together

On my way out of town this morning I drove a twisting narrow lane and saw some beautiful chickens. I pulled over to take a photo and video. Drivers coming the other way must have thought me nuts.

Unfortunately, this image does not do them justice...

There is something my husband and I find soothing in chicken behavior. Roanoke Island, North Carolina here in the United States boasts a fabulous historic farm with heritage breed chickens. The birds run and hide whenever school children arrive but race to us expecting handouts.


Before spotting the chickens I saw a less pleasant sight. You might want to skip the rest of this if hulking black vultures would creep you out.

---

---

---

---

In retrospect, I guess they look
like black chickens... lol

Taking the following video gave me chills. I would not want these creatures at my garbage cans. Unlike their larger red-headed relatives, these normally solitary scavengers have been known to attack livestock and wildlife. Both black and (red-headed) turkey vultures are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, so any human caught interfering can expect a huge fine. I’ll warn pet owning neighbors, for sure.


Did you know that black vultures sometimes go after vinyl and rubber, damaging commercial and residential properties? Can you believe fines can reach $100,000 on individuals and twice that for organizations?

-

17 comments:

  1. Chickens really are fun to watch but forget the vultures, nope, not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the red-headed variety but these birds are thugs.

      Delete
  2. I like birds of prey to stay in the sky and not on the ground nearby potential food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way chickens move around is good fun to watch. Haven't seen so many vultures in place at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could raise chickens. :D I guess our area draws vultures due to both the north/south highway and river to the east and west giving them great lift.

      Delete
  4. Oh my- we sat here the other day in our temporary place watching three black vultures congregating on a rooftop across the street from us. Dad giggled and started mumbling something about some old Alfred Hitchcock movie. Me and mom just ignored him as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds! I like that movie. :D Be safe, sweet Smudge.

      Delete
  5. I had NO idea they were protected under that Act. So, it's not that they are low in population...it's that they are migratory? I will have to research this. It has my interest. The redheaded ones are what creeps me out, not the standard feathered ones. But, Ewwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vultures look pretty tame on the ground. I'm sure not so much when they're in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These black headed beasts will tear the eyes out of a calf's head if given the chance. ~shudder~

      Delete
  7. at first I thought you meant they fine the birds! lol....I had to reread that. LOL........I think one of the coolest things is when birds fly, and shift direction, and they all shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flocks in sync are cool. And there's safety in numbers for them like schooling fish.

      Delete
  8. That is super creepy. I call our bald red heads here the clean up crew, as they usually only clean up the dead but I've seen them on the dying too, out in the sheep fields and that is super creepy. I can't imagine those black heads in my yard and not being able to chase them off legally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a creepy thing to see. ~hugs~ But at least the animals were dying. These black-headed ones will go after anything, even healthy animals, if they're hungry enough.

      Delete
  9. It drives me nuts that they are protected. They are creepy. I like chickens. I used to want some, but fear that something would manage to kill them. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Finding a dead chicken would break my heart.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!