Saturday, August 5, 2023

My Latest Stupidity & Marital Lie by Omission

Yesterday I got the idea to put Dandelion in Terra’s unused kitty harness and go walking. All went well until we rounded a curve where I’d seen neighbors interacting with her before she moved in. I’d actually thought those folks might enjoy seeing her should any be outside.

Dani had other plans. She slipped out of that harness and headed for the wooded creek-bed. I panicked. My husband and I agree joke (?) that the single divorceable offence is losing a pet cat.

I heard her meowing and spotted glimpses of her white figure in the shade. It’s almost as if she wanted me to follow. There was no way. The steep incline full of rocks and wire fencing would have been my downfall.

So I raced home fast as possible and returned in like manner bearing a box of treats. No luck. She seemed determined to explore her old stalking grounds.

I took off again for home, this time grabbing a can of her favorite stinky food and driving back with her carrier in the front seat. She went for the opened food. I scooped her up and held on tight transporting her.

Returning for the food so as not to attract unwanted critters to my neighborly friend’s backyard, I knelt down for a brief prayer. Corny as that may be, and whatever your beliefs in a creator, it felt right because I was soooo grateful. We won’t be going on such an adventure again.

My husband thinks I was just outside on my own. I’m so glad he neither noticed why I returned sweaty and breathless nor the items fetched between my forays.

Since Terra also escaped one time despite what I considered a proper fit, why didn’t I learn from that mistake? And though my husband would surely forgive me, am I right in not sharing this little adventure?

-

16 comments:

  1. You're lucky you got her back. I say don't tell hubby for a very long time. A very long time if at all.

    Have a fabulous weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, there are harnesses that can't be slipped out of, that's what she needs. I'm so glad you captured her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have said a thank you prayer too. I am glad you were able to catch her. Best not to mention it. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would be the point of 'fessing up? No damage done and a lesson learnt. Peaceful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got her back, good for you. I have had multiple such mess ups with harnesses. Cats are liquid creatures, you know. When they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better learning that you've had problems with harnessing kitties. ~hugs~ Seriously, I felt like dirt. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  6. That which happened to you is my worst nightmare. I can see it is for the two of you as well. I think the so-called martingale harness is the better idea. My cat will not (none ever have) allow herself
    to wear a harness. I don't "push" it. As losing her would be a tragedy to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops. I guess you won't be trying that again. I don't know how they manage to do it, but critters can escape those things when they really want to. It's like they transport out or something.

    Would spouse be mad? It's not like it was deliberate. And you got her back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. phew.. good thing you got her back.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!