Friday, December 15, 2017

Garbage Day



When I want a domestic chore done in this household, I’m on my own. Usually I feel grateful my partner is so lackadaisical about housekeeping as I’d rather write than have gleaming floors. Both siblings are so finicky that those brothers will each clean his respective house instead of spending relaxed time when we visit. Their wives, meanwhile, will sit back with a cup of coffee and chat, the opposite of my childhood experiences.

Yesterday started with a less than thankful heart. The previous night, sick of clutter, I spent the better part of an hour straightening our kitchen. Loading the dishwasher, putting away gadgets, wiping away crumbs and stubborn spills until the counters truly did gleam, I found it felt nice to have nothing on the island counter except the cookie jar from my mother’s childhood home.

The 'Animals' Tag on This Post Isn't Due to These Kittens
Rising around six o’clock the morning following my clean-up, I looked forward to walking out to a pristine kitchen. No doubt you’ve guessed what I found.

Not only were there bread crumbs and sesame seeds around the toaster, there was actual trash upon the opposite countertops (note the plural). I’m talking about an empty cat food can, its lid, the dirty knife used to portion out servings, plus a tea bag wrapper nearer the sink. And for a change my partner picked up the paper plates from the cats’ last meal but, instead of reusing or tossing them, left them next to the cookie jar.

Let me reiterate, they had been on the floor. Now they were strewn over my once clean surfaces. ~sigh~ At least I got things back in order in under a minute. For now…

I can promise you that cookie jar is empty and will stay that way. I’m not rewarding sloth and carelessness with treats.

Update: I did get the requested fast food breakfast and got to stay home from the latest grocery shopping trip. So, we're good.

Are you a neat freak or more laid back like us?

-

14 comments:

  1. I used to be a TOTAL neat freak, always picking up and cleaning something. I had a friend that tried and tried to get me to change my ways. She called me the cleaner from HELL. I had to have a neat clean house but...with the advancement of my daughter and grandson moving in with me years ago and the fibro announcing its presence my neat cleaning freak stage started to calm down. With the advancement of the fibro I just gave up on so much. But I still had this OCD thing about germs and washing my hands all the time....one day after finally seeking meds for the fibro I realized that OCD was also gone. It was the Cymbalta I take. HAHA....now, I can relax and over look crap that needs doing. But I feel for you. My daughter living with me for six years had me on edge with her messes and crap. I would have something clean and the next morning it was a mess. I would probably be the same way now cause if I take the time to clean it, leave it that way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it took this awful disease to ease your mind. ~hugs~ Today an empty cat food can was again out (he's feeding them each half a can a day! That's troubling on its own), but not front and center next to my cookie jar.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to housekeeping, but when I do tidy things up, I'd like them to remain tidy for at least a little while and not find things everywhere the next day :-( Love that cookie jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on the cookie jar. ~grin~ I think we are very much alike, your amazing lifestyle aside.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful cookie jar. I am very clean in some things like crumbs- those drive me crazy, but please don't look at my bath tub :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the cookie jar! I bet your bath tub is better than mine as we use it to store bags of cat litter. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  4. I used to be such a stickler for everything to be perfect. But, there came a point when I realized that there are much more important things in life. I do keep things organized, tidied, clean. But, spotless? No. Pristine? No. There is stray fuzz. There is some dust. I think I am pretty average. I have seen both extremes. No thanks. I like comfy and cozy. Hugs, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a sweet blogger friend! I'm tending toward the messier side, I suppose. Oh, well.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, Darla! I am laughing! I used to be a neat freak but gradually got converted into a "dust if you must" type. Becuase seriously, beyond the basic stuff, there's more to life than constantly being at it with a duster and a mop. Of course there are days when I get that way, and firmly tell my partner we've got to do this, and being the fun guy he is, he happily cooperates.

    But yes, I do get a little mad when an absolutely gleaming countertop has stuff that could have easily been deposited one foot away--into the dustbin. Case in point, tea bags.

    Love that cookie jar! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to give you a chuckle and that you like the jar. I feel like it might be very, very old.

      Delete
  6. I live alone so some things can slide if I am tired. But I have a rule about no dirty dishes in the sink before bed. Dishes must be done before I can go to bed. My older brother is a neat freak, my younger brother I don't think he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wise rule. ~nods~ A home organizer recommended by a friend suggests making it shine before you turn in. I figure most important are the dishes, especially in summer when leaving them out risks inviting unwanted pests. Be well!

      Delete
  7. Oh, he would have been yelled at if it were me. You do not mess up my newly clean, ever. But most of the time I'm not that pristine. Although, I like to keep the kitchen clear. I have an issue with kitchen clutter while I cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about hating clutter when I cook. So far, I've kept up the momentum and the counters look good, though the dishwasher needs emptied. Come to think of it, I should do that now. I'm chilled and that would warm me up. ~grin~ Now, what on earth to have for dinner tonight?

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!