Sunday, October 22, 2023

My Very Strange, Wonderfully Uplifting Day

I recently, once again, considered cancelling my YMCA membership. One month’s fee would almost pay to have kitty Dandelion groomed again, which she kind of needs. Silly me, while telling my husband I thought my eyes were watering but it turns out they were leaking tears.

Lifting weights and swimming year round really do boost my mood. Since he, bless him, said he wouldn’t urge me either way, I decided to go work out. At the front desk I found the sweet woman who’s worked there since I joined years ago.

She asked how I was, I said, “Great!” Then I told her my consideration, adding, “But I’m going to swallow my pride and ask if you have financial assistance paperwork.”

“No!” she blurted, “I mean yes! But don’t feel bad about it. We want you here. So don’t feel anything about asking for assistance.”

I brought the form home and my husband spent time filling out the financial details. He’s such a peach sometimes.

From there I passed a cute table sitting out for either salvage or garbage pickup. Driving half a block away, I turned around realizing it would free up my card table for a use other than supporting my haunted dollhouse. Huffing and puffing, I could not blow the house down get that table into my sedan. Meanwhile, a middle-aged man pulled over to ask directions.

I didn’t recognize the street name but, while searching on my smart phone map feature, told him my problem. He got out of his car, inspected the rather heavy item, suggested perhaps unscrewing the legs, then moved it back onto the lawn for me. In thanks, I drove him to where I thought he wanted to go. As it turned out, he’d taken a wrong turn. Solving his issue felt good.

And I drove home thinking I might ask my neighbor across the street for help. He owns a pickup truck and has utilized my husband’s computer skills more times than I can recall. The man kindly and cheerfully helped before heading to his workplace. I gave him a quick hug.

Have you ever shed a few tears without realizing it? Or is that just about the oddest thing to do?

-

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great day, full of kind people helping each other, including you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kindness of strangers. I'm glad you asked the lady at the Y..
    Sounds like a wonderful day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post full of kindness. How kind of you to help a stranger and I am glad you got someone to help you get the table before someone else found it. Yes, on the tears. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shed tears all the time, but I know I do it. All sorts of things get me emotional. It's okay to cry. Sometimes it helps. And it sounds like you were surrounded by all sorts of helpful people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prided myself on seldom crying when young. lol Be well!

      Delete
  5. How nice of you to be the helper and then the helpee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Young Men's Christian Association...are you sure you should be a member? Just an historical name, I know.
    Thankfully the phrase 'real men don't cry is becoming historical too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggle. And yes, I agree it's okay when men cry and just wish my tears hadn't become so rampant. ~rolls eyes~ Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!