Sunday, June 9, 2024

Another Duh Moment

I’m having fun with a plant identification app on my phone. It’s called PlantNet and seems to be extremely accurate. Just this morning I decided to take an image of one of my shade tree’s fruits and realized a very silly mistake. It’s not a buckeye tree at all but a common horse chestnut. ~shakes head~ Somehow my memory got twisted around over the decades.

To my surprise, PlantNet also identified this
as the peculiar squirting cucumber...

Then again, I feel somewhat vindicated after stumbling upon this article. Horse chestnut and buckeye trees resemble one another as they’re in the same genus. And there is so much more I’m learning!

Fun facts:

My tree is the red variety, meaning it has rosy flowers versus white. A woman who saw it in the spring of 2023 not only pulled over to inquire about it, she brought her mother over this past April.

And it’s a hybrid between the red buckeye (!) and white chestnut.

The English call the nuts ‘conkers’. And I understand why after being pelted during that very windy day. lol Thank heaven they’re small and quite soft.

A tasty fall treat for deer, the seeds are toxic to most mammals, including horses. Thanks to this article from the UK I learned two things about the name.

One, a fallen leaf creates a horseshoe shaped scar on the twig, complete with what look like nail holes. I’ll have to look for this come autumn.

And before modern veterinary medicine, crushing conkers released a medicinal compound that, while toxic to smaller animals, helped relieve horses suffering a cough.

Last but not least, harvested seeds are supposedly easy to cultivate over winter. I may have to try this if only for fun.

The entire tree gets covered by these...

Weren’t so-called primitive peoples incredibly inventive? Do you think a horse chestnut sapling would make a nice gift?

-

28 comments:

  1. That would be a fabulous gift! What a beautiful tree I've never met before. Thank you. Aloha from Honolulu

    ReplyDelete
  2. the amount of plants/herbs that are beneficial //medicinally are outta this world. awesome :) and yes a horse chestnut would make a great gift !! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not even begin to know the varieties of the plants and trees around me, so at least you had some idea of what it was. Apparently, conkers is some sort of game, too. (I saw this on some British show I watched a while back. They use the conkers to battle one another? Something like that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check this game out. lol Be well!

      Delete
  4. I'm not good at identifying any of plants unless they have a name tag on them LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees and shrubs elude my ability to identify. :D

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a great app. Too bad the cucumber is not edible. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try this PlantNet app. My Plant Snap app isn't very good, although I wonder if such apps are not really designed for Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might work for you; the app provides regional information. I'll have to see if Australia is included. :D

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, primtive folks were pretty smart. They were great with herbs for healing purposes and all sorts of daily uses. Conkers, i like that word! lol....I have an app called picture this and I love it. I has told me what trees I have on the outside layer of the yard. I have all kinds but it also does plants. Like this beautiful dark orange flower I was seeing on the side of the road. It is actually a milkweed....I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome you have milkweed! I planted some and hosted monarch butterflies ever since.

      Delete
  8. Oh, yes, the domestication of plants and animals. Primitive people somehow figured that without knowing anything about genetics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post prompted me to read about the American Chestnut, once very valued, as the edible chestnuts were eaten by natives and settlers and even their livestock. Until the chestnut blight, a fungus, nearly wiped them out. Oregon has a growing American Chestnut population, cultivated from a blight resistent strain, but most of the chestnuts produced are sent to upscale markets elsewhere. Oregon prohibits import of American chestnut saplings from east of the Rockies to try to prevent blight from spreading here, I read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind words of sympathy on the loss of my beloved Boo, it meant to much to me that you stopped by and helped us with your kind comfort.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well what an educational and insightful plant lesson. We just hope there won't be a quiz. You know, Darla, that thing about your memory getting twisted around over the decades pretty much describes dad to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I didn't even expect them! In the era this tree got planted my father and I asked little and knew less. lol Be well!

      Delete
  13. love my app for telling what a plant is. I use it all the time. I use picture this. It charges after awhile but i just keep tapping the camera app and it lets me in...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the info. I love receiving plants as gifts.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!