Friday, September 6, 2019

Checked Out, Not Checking Out


One Cozy Cat

I meant for days to give an update on geriatric Tilly the cat. So here it is – good news (!) – she acts comfortable and happy. We have a checklist to monitor her quality of life.

Items include:
bright eyes
perky ears
consistent and healthy looking litter box use
interest in food
drinking plenty of water
moving well
actively engaged in her surroundings
smooth, even breathing

That last pleases us no end considering the veterinarian’s assessment that she retains some fluid beneath her lungs. We declined more X-rays for now. There seemed little point stressing her.

She’s quite the sweetheart about taking her thyroid pill, vitamin C supplement (both twice daily), and noontime diuretic. I know Tilly would be happy to know tonight is her final round of chilly medicated ear drops to clear up a simple yeast infection. It’s too bad the liquid needs refrigeration.

Yesterday my wise husband surmised why she demands desires near constant physical contact – extra warmth. Nearing twenty (we’re guessing close to nineteen now if not already), the old gal is almost certain to suffer arthritis.

However precious, hours lying prostrate on the bed with Tilly tucked on, against, or under my arm(s) began taking a toll on my neck, shoulders, and especially lumbar region. My husband’s clever follow-on suggestion to turn on his heating pad didn’t work. She sat up and pawed my face when unsuccessful in getting me prone. This afternoon she cried for me from the bedroom and I found her seated on the heating pad as if within a box.

Perfect.

Turning on the heater’s lowest setting, I let it heat a few moments before sitting beside her. Sure enough, she settled down and slept for over an hour. Now she is begging for food.

Would you buy a heated bed for an aging pet?

I should join lovely Sandee and friends for the Feline Friday blog hop, but alas lack time to reciprocate visiting other participants
blogs. Have a great weekend, my dears!

-

17 comments:

  1. I linked this post to Feline Friday. I don't care if you visit all those that are participating. It's good to have you join in.

    We did all we could do to keep our Little Bit as comfortable as possible. We never let cost get in the way either. She was our baby. Enjoy every minute with your girl.

    Thank you for joining the Feline Friday Blog Hop.

    Have a purrfect Feline Friday and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stinker, ~wink~, I wish you all the best. And thanks for all the love.

      Delete
  2. I'd buy a heaty pad in a heartbeat, if it helped a cat! I appreciate the list for quality of life. Our Angel has just turned 15; she's doing very well, and we'd like to keep her here on Earth for as long as she'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purrs for dear Tilly from all of us. We wouldn't hesitate to buy the heated bed either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind and a good caregiver. Thank you for all you do!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the update. I am glad it is good news. We have 2 heating pads set on low in the winter. And a heated blanket on low too. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank *you* for checking in, and the information. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  5. Your tales of elderly Tilly's days really hit my heart. I have so many seniors here and have lost so many to old age related illnesses. I have noticed even with the wild things here, that when they are sick, near their time, they come and want to be around me and other cats, even if they've never done that before. It's one way I can tell. I missed the clue with Bonita, because she'd done it for a year. But now I know she likely had cancer when she came here that only became worse and worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine all your losses. ~hugs~ You do such fabulous work rescuing and care giving. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I would buy her that....if it helps her to get through the worst days then I would know i did something for her. I hate knowing our babes get older, I hate seeing them sick and it kills me to lose one. She not only wants that warmth, she wants to be near y'all. That is sweet. Thanks for the update, been wondering however I did not want to bother you. I knew you would let us know when you could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is sleeping on the heating pad now. ~grin~ Tilly and Jezebel are good girls. Take care, my dear, and thanks for your kind concern.

      Delete
  7. Though I've a few years before I get to dear Tilly's age I can only hope my mom and dad will give me the kind of love and care that you give your old girl (I KNOW they will).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt they will. ~grin~ My best to you and yours, sweet Cleo!

      Delete
  8. I would definitely buy a heating pad for an old kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The heating pad is a great idea. You can only provide so much warmth. I wonder if they make heated beds for pets. It's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!