Thursday, September 12, 2019

Health, Humor, & Hoaxes


Laughter, so the old saying goes, is the best medicine. In this current first world climate of trigger warnings and safe spaces, I cling to my juvenile sense of humor like a life raft. During Tuesday’s brief hospital stay I made a point of engaging with anyone around me in (usually) the most irreverent manner possible.

Warning: My mind tends to work like that of a seventeen year old boy. Heh…

Take the ER nurse and her efforts to enter an expiration date off a plasma unit into the computer. Nobody knew how to help her, she just fiddled with the touch screen until something worked, and said, “You just have to massage it until something happens.”

“I’ve heard that before,” I said to her bark of amusement and my husband’s feigned disgust.

~grin~

So-called gallows humor can also help keep one sane in grim situations. I’ve heard that over and over again including from the EMT who attended my 4am ambulance ride. He offered to share what he considers his funniest job related incident with the advisory warning it was “inappropriate”.

“I’m all ears,” I replied.

Warning: the following anecdote is both bawdy and a bit gory (NSFW)

Called to the aid of a middle aged woman who fell and cut the back of her head on a concrete step, EMT Matthew found her blood covered and inebriated to the point she felt no pain. Of course, she also refused to cooperate.

“Please don’t take me to the hospital,” she implored several times. “I don’t want to go with you.”

“Fine with me,” he replied, “but you’re going one way or the other. If not with me, then the men with the steel bracelets.”

“But I’ll give you a [use your imagination] if you let me go.”

“Nah… I’m good,” he answered, eyebrows no doubt shooting toward his hairline.

<!>

Considering our senses of humor imperative to a strong bond, my husband and I appreciate whatever amuses us be it a spontaneous quip, unique circumstance, or a contrived marketing campaign. A recent late night prank involved a bit of all three.

With apologies, I need to share some back story. The long past incident inspiring my latest hoax involved a short trip and an archaic GPS device. We expected directions to our hotel. Instead the Magellan model announced, “You have reached your destination” – outside an open cemetery gate.

In an instant my witty husband observed, “Yeah. Our final destination.”

And we crack up over the Allstate Insurance ‘mayhem’ commercials, especially when the actor portrays a global positioning device that causes an accident and announces, “Recalculating” with a mischievous grin. You can see I incorporated these elements in setting up this campy, Halloween themed scene.
That's 'Mayhem' Escaping
~shakes head~
I'm Silly
Can You See the Zombie Rising from my Miniature Cemetery?
And here is that inspirational, hilarious commercial:


Do you enjoy the occasional prank?

-

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I enjoy a bit of humor, but often cannot come up with my own quips in a timely fashion. The guy who plays Mayhem is hilarious; I've seen him in other TV roles, and none are as good as those darn commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahahahahahahaha. I loved that video. I like that guy. I think I know him.

    I love a good prank and a good laugh. Yes indeed.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better to laugh than to cry in certain circumstances. I'm not fond of pranks, though. I don't like humiliating people if I can help it. (I always feel so humiliated for people when they've been pranked.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally against humiliation. ~nods~ Being duped in a minor way is one thing, then later told the person was teasing. My husband jokes that my little staged scenes are meant to 'gaslight' him since he never sees my work in action. Heh... Be well!

      Delete
  4. I always go for humor. I love your Halloween set up. :) One time, I drew a chalk outline of my niece and put crime scene tape around it- it actually said Happy Halloween, but neighbors still called to see what happened- and my hubby made me wash it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha... That's funny considering chalk outlines are actually a myth. Heh... I hope your kitties are well as can be, my dear. ~hugs~

      Delete
  5. Pranks? OH NO, NOT ME! haha.....I have seen some of those commericals but not all of them. I love Mayhem! He never gets old, not like Flo on the Progressive ones. Hoping you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm with you on Flo. Thanks for the well wishes. Take care!

      Delete
  6. Humor does works, very often.
    Only problem I have noticed is, how the other person(s) would take what we think is humor.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!