Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Another First, Room Service, & a Room With a View

I experienced quite an adventure half of Tuesday. It began around 2am yesterday, a rude wakeup in the form of peculiar oral swelling. At first I thought to go back to sleep and call my dentist come daylight. Perhaps an irregular canker sore formed on the right underside of my tongue, so I took my daily supplement that suppresses and helps heal them.

The lump didn’t hurt, though, and seemed to be expanding.

Soon awakened, my groggy husband made the wise suggestion I take a Benadryl allergy pill and proceeded to research possible causes on the Internet. None fit my situation, which worsened to the point I developed a colossal stifled lisp. Since my coping mechanism of choice is to joke, I made light of the fact my voice sounded like that of facially deformed character Eugene cast in the black comedy series “Preacher”. I will spare you the image of his disturbing visage.

Heh...

Within minutes we decided to visit the nearby Emergency Hospital. In a shocking development, the receptionist guessed my diagnosis with two simple questions.

Did I take blood pressure medication? “Yeth...” (muffled) Was it Lisinopril? “Yeth...”

A rare 0.01% to 0.1% of prescribed patients develop angioneurotic edema in one body part or another.

Where My Adventure Began
I expected a steroid shot and to be back home in a few hours. Staff soon made clear the unlikelihood. As it happens, regardless of their charge’s irreverent banter, medical professionals take throat blockage very serious.

Who knew?

Blood tested and steroids injected on the spot, my doctor ordered intravenous blood plasma. The nurse, registered for ten years now, never before saw this condition yet warned these treatments might not work.

Fortunate for me, I soon felt quite normal. Could I be released?

No. I could neither stay there nor go home. Hospital admittance was non-negotiable.

Only two facilities, one located in an unfamiliar city (?!), could spare a bed (!) despite there being no major public health concerns. Once my ambulance arrived I sent my sleepy husband home.

My slumber did not resume. Night nurses stationed across the hall laughed and chatted their shift away. My music left at home, television didn’t interest me in the slightest. At least I had my Kindle Fire, those ER stepdown room accommodations were comfortable, and a nice ceiling fan kept me cool.

Come sunrise I enjoyed a partially blocked but colorful spectacle. Full daylight revealed verdant woods hiding the nearby Little Miami River. Flocking birds exposed the waterway’s course.

Around 7:30 I set aside my now abandoned first draft of this sketched on the back of a redundant medical form, ordered breakfast, and called my husband.

That facility’s food, by the way, is quite good. I knew this from my husband’s 2011 heart surgery. A fruity yogurt parfait with granola and two strips of turkey bacon satisfied my hunger until lunchtime.

Apprised of my uncertain status, he agreed to stay home. Within hours I would either need a ride or more personal items for comfort and mental distraction.

Near noon Nurse Reba gave her disappointing opinion my incarceration stay would continue. In an ironic twist, my blood pressure concerned them. A later evaluation by the floor’s head daytime physician made my day. He agreed lack of rest compounded by emotional distress heightened my hypertension. He prescribed a different pill and registered me for discharge.

Hurray!

Delighted professionals of every ilk expressed their fondness wishing me well. Apparently my irreverent sense of humor amused them. I’ll share more on that later (including anecdotes from my attending EMT in the ambulance) as this is getting wordy.

~shakes head~

Meanwhile, you might find funny the fact I spotted our Blue Meanie pulling into the parking lot from the building’s fifth floor about a city block away. The 2017 Volt’s distinctive laser blue color, shape, and of course my colorful “Yellow Submarine” stickers depicted my husband’s arrival, confirmed by his departure from the vehicle.

Is there any place you would rather be than (healthy) at home?

-

10 comments:

  1. What an experience. I hate it when medications turn on you. I had one that wanted to close my throat too. Rather frightening.

    I'm glad you're home and feeling better. Your breakfast sounded very good.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you experienced that fright. Thank you for all the kind words. ~hugs~ Best wishes, my dear.

      Delete
  2. I love HOME...but a healthy vacation! haha...so sorry that you have had to deal with that. I know I would have been scared. Hoping that all is back to normal now. That is so, so, so scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good points. Thank you for the kind word. I am happy to report that all seems well and humor plus a rock steady spouse helped get me through without extreme stress. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Yikes. That sounds scary. At least they were able to discern the cause easily enough. Glad you're home and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I believe your ceiling collapse to be a worse, and certainly more ongoing, ordeal. Glad that got sorted out at last!

      Delete
  4. I spend all day at work, wishing to be home. Then, when I get there, I have to go out for a walk, run to the store, hit the library...LOL! Well, that was BEFORE I discovered audiobooks downloaded to my phone. Too bad the nurses couldn't keep it down to a low roar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand what you mean. Early retirement has been a huge blessing. Glad you found audiobooks; a good friend swears by them. And I don't fault the nurses. I may not have been able to sleep anyway, and their talk proved soothing in its way. Be well!

      Delete
  5. Oh no, Darla. That's scary, particularly since I take lisinopril also. My problem with it has been nasal and ear congestion, sometimes leading to vertigo. The nasal congestion is a daily issue, but it otherwise works very well. I hope your new med works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always want to be home, I am practically a hermit. I am glad you went to the ER for help. My mom is on that medicine. Her Dr. tried to change her because of what can happen, but she insists on having it. How long had you been taking it? XO

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!