Sunday, September 29, 2019

Help Around the House

Relentless doorbell ringing and knocking yesterday afternoon forced me to open the door. To my surprise, the young gal (J) from across the street stood there with four of her local friends. They wished to perform some sort of yard work for cash.

I liked the idea of supporting their industriousness but found myself at a loss, my experience with kids limited. What did they expect to do and for how much? I asked what they planned to charge.

J admitted they were undecided. She suggested five dollars for a small yard, ten for a large. The others agreed. Unsure how to translate that, I consented when their persistent young spokesman mentioned raking around our tree.

It needed done and seemed simple enough. The children were elated. Despite confusing chatter from five excited kids, I determined that we were their first active clients.

Complications soon arose. They carried no tools of any kind. Could they borrow ours? Sure. I handed out our sole lawn rake and shop broom the littlest girl requested.

Where should they dump the leaves? I thought about having them scattered over the garden. They would likely blow away. So we went with garbage bags.

Next, a child appeared at the door asking for water. I gladly carried out five bottles and came back inside, sitting down to continue watching the video my husband paused.

Another knock. Now what? Once more hitting pause, my comfortable couch-bound guy snickered. Ha ha…

The kids needed more bags. Okay. Do you have a leaf blower? No. Sorry.

As his colleagues scurried about, the lead entrepreneur kept me captive, chattering about future plans for their company. How could I complain? He hoped to invest in a leaf blower at some point.

A good while later I answered the door one final time. Stammering with indecision, the young fellow estimated their available service hours and told me they would return the next afternoon. I deferred, suggesting we send a text message to J’s parents.

Of course that didn’t stop them banging on the door today. ~sigh~ Sad to say, I lacked the energy to face another eager inquisition and so my husband passed along the fact we had no current work needing done.

I have to say they worked hard, hand stuffing debris into the bags, even asking what we wanted done with the remaining leaf shreds. The yard looked fine as is, much better than before. Twice I praised their endeavors, once to the young man before he left. He took it in stride, saying a successful business required effort.

This little group did more than enough for what money we had on hand. That young fellow also apologized for all the interruptions toward the end, which was nice.

They were so cute I took a picture. Now I just need to figure out more work for them and make sure to have cash on hand.

Don’t you just love conscientious youths?

-

25 comments:

  1. Yes I do love hard working youth. I wouldn't have cared for all the interruptions though. You're a jewel, Darla. So is your husband.

    Have a fabulous day and week, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that's amazing these days, good for them and good for you for supporting them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hysterical. I can't say, however, I don't somewhere have about 8 bracelets made from rubber bands, that I bought off the cute kids from the down the block who came knocking, selling their bracelets. And then again. And again. Now they're too old to make them I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love their lack of planning. Perhaps things'll go smoother for their next client. At least it got your yard raked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One has to laugh. They were lucky for the dry month or I'd have mowed the leaves right into the lawn. Heh... I like to think they'll do well in adulthood.

      Delete
  5. They sound sweet and it was sweet of you and your hubby to hire them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly, they were just darling, in a slightly irritating way! Unfortunately for us, what we need is kids who can climb tall ladders, to work on our gutters! I may need to hire (!) someone this time, and without telling The Hubby...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being that I don't like heat I never really went looking for yard work, except.....when I did cut a few yards. Later I learned about babysitting!! 50 cents an hour was what I made sitting, so surprised when my lady offered me 75 cents an hour!! Crazy huh? Most kids these days are lazy and stay in front of video games. Kids used to mow yards then the big business came in and everyone does it now. I have made money through my life cutting yards, babysitting, wallpapering for folks, cleaning houses, a clown at kids parties, selling paintings, selling crafts, teaching painting and photography...think that is it...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A party clown? Wow! I bet you enjoyed that. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  8. You probably DID help them, because they had no idea what they were getting into ! You do not need to subsidize them further - but you provided a valuable learning experience. Hopefully they learned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome that they were hard working youths.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet of them and how sweet of you to help encourage their entrepreneurial spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope they have successful, prosperous, and happy futures.

      Delete
  11. I was smiling from beginning to end! You just have to admire them. I've got a few jobs that need doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Too bad they're too far away from you. Take care!

      Delete
  12. It was nice to see young guys wanting to do some stuff. Glad to see you encouraged them and gave them work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids, knocking on the door, wanting to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure, you were not magically transported to another time, that afternoon??????? Like that movie, where they go "through" the tv, and end up in a 50's black and white tv sitcom. ?????????

    Can hardly believe, that there actually are, kids today, who are not totally consumed, with being glued to their cell phones and techy games.

    And expect parents to buy their wants.

    Never consider looking for work, themselves.

    Let alone have the -ahem- *B_lls* to knock on doors, to ask for work.

    I still think you had an Out-Of-Body-Experience, in some other era.

    -grin-

    🍁🍂🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha... My husband says we're living in a computer simulation. And he's only half joking (!!!).

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!