Saturday, June 5, 2021

Brood X in a Nutshell...

I must admit finding the current cicada emergence quite fascinating. If you're interested, I found this local article. WARNING: the information includes some rather disgusting facts you might best avoid reading if bugs creep you out.

On the cute side of things, here is a time-lapse video I filmed this morning. Terra and Polly Dactyl were fascinated by all the aerial activity.


Have you ever heard emerging cicada's mass mating chorus? A friend from North Dakota, unfamiliar with the cacophany, attributed it to a mass number of car alarms sounding off. And that yearly event in Chicago was miniscule compared to the hoards outside my Ohio home.

-

15 comments:

  1. The kitties will be busy at that window for a very long time. Wow. Never seen or heard them for real. I'm okay with that.

    Have a fabulous weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing about the cicadas, but we don't get them around here. I hope it's been a fun show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phenomena is definitely more of an eastern US thing. I'm still fascinated, if deafened.

      Delete
  3. I used to hear them when I lived in WV but we're not having any in SC. That video is so funny, they sure were busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I guess this brood emerges pretty far north. I'm glad to amuse you.

      Delete
  4. I have yet to hear them. And seeing those two's activities all sped up was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad there are none around here. That is interesting that they set off car alarms. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I confused the issue. My friend thought the cicada cries were the car alarms. :) None were set off by the critters.

      Delete
  6. Ooooohh, Zombies- Dad loves it! The video was interesting, and we didn't know they could still live after losing, umm, parts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited cause I have recently found out that we will not be getting these....I had not thought it through well but when I did, I realized that the last time we had them was in 2011 in April. I remember that cause I got a new air unit installed then and the next month I flew to Calif for the first time. So with that said, we will not get the 13 year (that is what we had) till 2024. I was really looking forward to the cats being on the deck and seeing how they acted....haha. But that is okay cause poor Lily was about to have a fit over that same frog that keeps hanging around. In about four days there will be a blog post telling you about my job! haha

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!