Wednesday, June 9, 2021

The Swarm

Blogging friend Strayer and I were of like mind when she requested images of our cicada infestation. ~grin~ I am sorry that sharing my footage has been so long delayed. I am sure you can imagine the… ahem… feline reasons.


Even as I began uploading stuff to compile here, Terra decided to knock over a sculpture. I’m happy to say that this one did not break. The elephant’s giraffe friend had to have its ear glued back on. ~shakes head~ The moment our eyes met I decided my kitty needed some enrichment time.

So I got her harnessed for a foray into the front yard. What fun - for us, anyway. A few unfortunate cicadas were caught and at least partially devoured. I wish the humidity hadn’t been so miserable, though dodging the ugly bugs provided me a good bit of calisthenics.


 

I am very glad none of the neighbors were out as I yipped, yelped, and danced around the yard. Heh... Eventually I had to carry a resistant yet well behaved and gentle Terra inside. Her sister Polly enjoyed a good sniff fest.


Would you consider following Terra’s example by eating these high protein insects? Do you know the difference between locusts and cicadas?

-

15 comments:

  1. Someone sure is good on the harness! I sure don't wanna eat any of those crunchy bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a good kitty with too much energy. lol And I'm with you on not eating bugs.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen them before because we don't have them here. They sure are ugly and noisy though.

    Awww, Terra having fun eating those noisy little buggers.

    Have a fabulous day. Scritches to the kitties and a hug to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they're loud. The mass reminds me of the swarm of butterflies we had a couple years back. They were everywhere for a time. I saw a thread on Twitter where someone was talking about a guy who was cutting them up for some bird (sparrow?). The bird brought the guy an insect. He cut it up. The bird ate the smaller pieces (the thing was too big for the bird to eat it without it being cut).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. And I think your swarm was prettier. Heh...

      Delete
  4. OMG, loud! Thanks for making the video! Can you sleep? Do they do that at night? That's the males, right, making their mating thing? A handful less thanks to Terra, the mighty huntress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't keep us awake, fortunately. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos and you're correct about the males playing that mating call. Terra is a mighty huntress. :)

      Delete
  5. We haven't yet had any cicadas show up.
    They are good protein, so they say, but insects in general just gross me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of most insects, either. We do appreciate little jumping spiders and our resident preying mantids. :) As far as I know, this swarm isn't expected to emerge so far to the northeast. And I'm glad because a friend is having an outdoor graduation party this summer. Heh... Be well!

      Delete
  6. I am really glad we don't have these near me. The sound belongs in a horror movie. I don't know the difference between the two- I just know I don't like either. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sitting here right next to dad and the laptop, and when he played that first ear splitting video the sound grabbed my attention immediately and made me turn my head like "What!". So, when Terra ate those bugs, did they turn into zombies? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for not warning folks to turn down the sound. ~shakes head~ As far as I know, none turned into zombies. lol And I'm glad. Parasites that zombify other beings creep me out.

      Delete
  8. I read about the trouble President Biden just before he boarded Air Force One. Here we have them, but not such an infestation.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!