Plastic can be a controversial subject, but I personally don’t want to live without it. Whether they’re lighter, cheaper, more durable, more effective, or just plain inconceivable without the diverse polymeric materials in the world, here are thirteen things reliant upon plastic:
1. Pens – How many of these have I used in my lifetime? I just wish they were all refillable.
2. Feminine hygiene products – I can’t imagine what life would be like.
3. Flooring – Laminate flooring is what I want to replace my home’s old, nasty carpeting.
4. Toothbrushes – While fine for hairbrushes in my book, these bristles used to be made out of boar’s hair! No, thanks.
5. Sports equipment – Not a fan nor a player, I do appreciate the safety afforded to some might fine hardbodies.
6. Cars – I think my sedan is made from far more plastic than metal.
7. Window panes – The window replacements we have are a dream, they never warp or stick.
8. Refrigerators – Appliance surfaces are so easy to clean, I really appreciate that.
9. Condiments – I can’t imagine not being able to squeeze out my mustard.
10. Compact disks – Gotta have my music!
11. Litter boxes – What did cat slaves do before this?
12. Electrical wiring – Ever strip a wire to do a little electrical work? What was used for insulation before plastic?
13. Paint – While not technically plastic, the polymers in latex and polyurethane paints make them what they are.