Thursday, November 21, 2019

Sous Vide, or Not Sous Vide, Part One


I apologize for the Shakespearian pun. My will is too weak to resist. At any rate my husband discovered sous vide (French for ‘under vacuum’), a slow and low temperature process a year or so ago.

We’ve enjoyed many meats, steak and chicken and fish, all prepared in a small, dedicated tub of heated water. A follow-on oven roasting or stove-top browning often completes the dishes. Today we tried something different, an entire turkey.

Crazy, huh?

This required a bigger container for the heated water. Ironically, he came up with the brilliant idea of using our propane turkey fryer equipment.
Check This Out...
My only fear is getting tangled in cords or something. The entire process is supposed to take twenty-four hours. And we started around 3pm or so.

Rebels toward holiday rituals, we’ll feast tomorrow afternoon and I’ll let you know the results. Yum.

Have you heard of sous vide? Would you try it?

-

16 comments:

  1. "My *Will* is too weak to resist..." <---huge groan...

    There's an online outlet that does a "Will is sous vide?" article every week or so. Although, I haven't seen it in a while. They were trying all sorts of things. (I only learned about it via a Good Eats episode. I'm so happy they're making them again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even catch that mention! lol The turkey turned out delicious.

      Delete
  2. Have never heard of this!!!!

    Oh the things we learn, by following, in "Pretty Blog Land." -smile-

    Looking forward to the Verdict!!!!!

    ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ”ฅ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is an epicurious masterpiece. :) It is yummy!

      Delete
  3. I am sure that The Hubby is all up on this, but I'll ask. He's cooked more chickens and turkeys than I'll ever know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's cool. My husband used to deep fry a turkey and take it to fellow office workers, a perennial favorite. And later, my colleagues loved his high fiber chocolate chip banana muffins. :) Be well!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this and yes I would try it. I want to see more.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of it, but I am eager to hear how it comes out. I wish I had a turkey fryer- that would make it tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting how he utilized the turkey fryer for this very different method. :) Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of sous vide. I'll have to look it up on youtube. Let us know how it goes and watch your feet with the cords, you don't want a trip to the hospital, slipping in or on a turkey. I bet the ER's see a lot of that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ~hugs~ I bet you're right about the ER. And that's just the sort of accident I expect this atypical year.

      Delete
  7. NO...never heard of that and with the way it looks, I am pretty sure I would not try it. It looks like something I would manage to dump in the floor, trip over....you seen my blogs of being in the kitchen!! haha....Thank you so much for you sweet comments on my blog. I do push and most days I probably push more then I should but if I did not, I would not have a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm forever impressed by your will. Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  8. No, never heard of sous vide. I doubt if I would try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband does enjoy culinary experimentation. And I'm sure he would love, as I would, to taste the meals you enjoyed on holiday. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!