Saturday, March 30, 2019

A Review of Corruption by Nick Wilford



“Corruption” is the second book in Nick Wilford’s Black and White series. As in any good second act, the success of our heroes comes into question. The apt title alludes to that.

My favorite part of this story is the bold adventure our intrepid trio undertakes. More timid with every passing year, it seems, I enjoy the heroism of others.

Their motive is both clear and laudable. The teenagers’ scientist friend George promised to update Wellesbury Noon and Ezmerelda Dontible, along with Welles’ long lost twin brother, on his group’s quest to cure the insidious disease killing the Loritanian populace, crippling their society. When the kids hear nothing, they don’t sit on their laurels in the relative safety of Whitopolis. They take action.

What they find at the end of their ocean voyage is staggering. One can only imagine how they will make restitution for the evils perpetrated upon this continent. And I look forward to reading just what Mr. Wilford’s mind has conjured.

My only complaint is how unabashed is the evil here. Of course, the series is called “Black and White”. And much younger readers are the target audience, not that I’m anywhere near the most sophisticated person on the planet.

As with the first book, this manuscript is exceptionally clean. That’s important to me, as typographical errors yank me out of a tale faster and with more jarring impact than just about anything else.

Well done, Mr. Wilford. Thank you again for this opportunity to read an advanced, gratis copy. My apologies for the delay in repaying your kindness with a fair review.

If you, dear reader, are interested in dystopian fantasy stories, I hope you will check out this series.

*** Warning – this book contains themes that some sensitive readers may find upsetting. ***
Purchase Links:
Add it on Goodreads


Is there any sort of adventure or act of bravery that would lure you out of your comfort zone?

-

16 comments:

  1. HAHA Comfort Zone...used to think I would never live within one of those, but it hit yrs ago, I got into a comfort zone before I knew it. Adventure or bravery???? Not that I can think of right now. Good book review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reached out from yours going back to work. I'm still impressed. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  2. Not an adventure, which is something that sounds planned, but out of my comfort zone? Sure. We all have things that would force us out of there! Maybe we haven't faced them yet, maybe we never will. But, there are always emergencies that call on us to do things we wouldn't normally do, and often say we would "never" do. My mother used to say, "Never say never."

    I've been forced out of my comfort zone quite a bit after my husband died. There are things that I just didn't do! When there's no choice you find that you can though. We are all stronger than we think when we have no choices! And, it usually isn't as bad as we anticipate.

    (Oh, I did go on an adventure to Puerto Rico I planned myself! Took three teenagers, two of my own and a friend. That was way out of my comfort zone! An area no one spoke English, where our plane landed in the middle of the night and I had to drive a rental car to an apartment, and no GPS! We survived and I found I a lot of C words. Capable. Confident. Some others that have fled my mind for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a genre I read, but excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review of this book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your well written review.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Badly proofread books with typos put me off too.
    I am not a great fan of fantasy stories, though I have read a few. Let me see if I will like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying. ~nods~ I hope you might enjoy this!

      Delete
  7. I've bought books at the dollar store. Maybe they're failures from some publishing house or self published flops. Many are full of severe grammatical errors of all kinds. They get tossed into recycle bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer. I hope some are worth the time and money. And good on you for recycling the paper!

      Delete
  8. This sounds like one my book-loving teenage nephews and nieces would like. I'll get them to buy it - and then I can have a look myself!
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!