Thursday, October 3, 2024

Keeping Busy – & – Keeping it Local

I wish my husband wasn’t so adamant about following current events. He considers it his duty to track the status of human conflict. I have no idea why.

Sometimes I try blocking out whatever bad news he’s hearing by lying on the bed with my fan on high for white noise, often with a cat or two (or even all three). He doesn’t understand the level of my futile empathy, though, evidenced by later regurgitating stuff I didn’t need or want to know.

My defenses against pointless anxiety and depression are, as stated first, keeping busy. My summer gardening provided much relief, as do cooking and baking. To his credit, he praises all my efforts.

What he also misunderstands is how, an equal introvert by nature, I’ll speak to strangers hoping to spread a little joy. I’ll compliment a person’s appearance, comment on trivial matters, or simply smile at their children. My favorite tactic is spreading laughter.

Oftentimes I say, “Excuse me” after bumping into a person or obstructing his or her path.

The most common friendly response these days is, “You’re okay.”

To that I gravely reply, “No, I’m not.”


It never fails to elicit at least a small chuckle. And some amused folks agree with my comedic sentiment.

Are folks around you mostly polite or more on the rude side? When others apologize by saying, “I’m sorry,” should I look them from head to toe and reply, “Yes, you are.”

-

7 comments:

  1. Well, as I am most often around teenagers...
    I'm with you on the empathy front. I can't deal with hearing about the suffering of others. Certain things (the Holocaust) actually make me physically ill (a migraine trigger). Perhaps if you appealed to your husband's care for you and told him those things make you ill, that might help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very English is the politeness stakes. If someone walks into us, we will both apologise. It is nice to speak to strangers and I always react positively when someone speaks to me, but I rarely initiate anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your side mission in life. That's awesome. Let's go on a trip and plant catnip everywhere next spring? Maybe sunflowers and poppies too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You be you, and everyone else can go pound sand!
    The Hubby is too involved with stuff on TV, news, sports, wars...
    I can't take it all in, and I refuse to, so if the TV or radio is on, I put in my earbuds and listen to an audiobook.
    Most people I come across are polite and smiling.
    Except when on the freeway, then it's like The Wild West.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Darla,
    My Pieter and I have always been on the very same page with everything and guess that made our love strong and fireproof!
    Empathy is one of our best traits as we are not in this life and in this world ALONE!
    Gratitude is another strong one.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby is watching the news right now and I am on here to ignore it. I find many people rude lately, especially when I go to Walmart. You are someone I would love to bump into when out shopping. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty much most people are polite here. but the ones that aren't really, really aren't.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!