Friday, October 11, 2024

A True Classic & Old Memories

In the eighties, my father purchased numerous decaying Chevrolet Corvettes. I remember returning from high school and getting to work sanding refurbished fiberglass chassis parts. We called one that he resold the “Roach Coach” because years in a farm field took their toll.

My parents joined a ‘Vette club that hosted car shows and other social events. And yes, I also helped detail cars for competitive events. Believe it or not, old toothbrushes proved great for polishing tiny crevices.

Mom drove a 1984 model (bought used yet pristine) while Dad’s lipstick red ’69 Stingray with shiny chrome accents was my favorite. We used to laugh about that car being my age. My folks even raced these vehicles a few times. Picturing my mother wearing a racecar helmet and ear to ear smile still brings me joy.

Those experiences stayed with me; I not only purchased bank checks featuring various models but can still give a rough estimate of when a certain body style came out. Stumbling across a mid 1950’s model this week, I had to take a photo.

What a beauty...

If the driver had been present you can bet a short conversation would have ensued. In fact, I will shout out to those driving any vintage automobile, exchanging pleasantries if parked or even stopped at a traffic signal. I don’t despair upon seeing cars in rough shape, either, quite certain they’ll get deserved renovations.

My husband and I prefer more practical rides. Yet I consider my appreciation akin to my married self ogling an attractive person, aside from polite discretion, of course.

Do you remember when merchants more readily accepted paper checks over credit cards? Is your community a car culture or more vested in public transport?

-

19 comments:

  1. That's a darn pretty ride. There is always a car show of some type going on over the weekends here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Darla,
    LOVED this post and sure, a toothbrush can go a long way in restoring such vintage beauty.
    Bet your Mom was a fun person—love that aspect.
    Fond memories and as for public transport that is almost zero here so a car is a must!
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I worked retail customers writing checks was common. And it took forever. We got technology where we could run the check through the machine and it would type it out for them (they just had to sign it). People were reluctant to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in The Motor City; we eat, breathe, and sleep automobiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While clearing out papers, I found my partner's last cheque book and the last cheque was written in 2004. I had given mine up then and at least once, I gave him the money and he wrote the cheque for me.
    The car looks terrific. What a beast it must be to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your loss is still beyond my comprehension. ~hugs~ But now you have me wondering when I last filled out a check; it wasn't twenty years ago, though, for sure. :) I'm glad you appreciate the 'Vette.

      Delete
  6. How cool. I am not a car person.. at all. But love seeing those classic cars roll by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cool car. I always liked vintage cars because my dad did. No public transportation out here in the boonies. :) My mom likes to use paper checks and she is boycotting Target because they no longer take them. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. back around 2010 or so I dated a friend (we left it that way) who loved his vette. I had to laugh when you said your parents joined the vette club. Brian and I were also members of the vette club. He had a red one also. Not really the type of car I would have but I loved it when we popped to top off and went riding. Brian has been gone going on four yrs now and I do miss him so much. Me..I prefer a more comfy car but with that said, I don't want all the bells and whistles of the cars these days. Mine is a 2012 SUV Ford Escape. Love the room, and the fact I feel more comfortable in this then I did after being hit twice in a couple of weeks in my Prius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall your tales about Brian. Hugs to you and yours, drive safe, and thanks for sharing your memories.

      Delete
  9. what those vette's would be worth today !!!! my uncle saved and saved and saved for a down payment for one back in his day. he lived in Pennsylvania; driving to work one day, turned a hill corner, deer ran into the car. car was totaled, deer ran off and was uninjured, my uncle bought a used beat up junker pick up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame about that car but I'm glad your uncle wasn't badly injured. Best wishes!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!