Monday, February 13, 2023

Silly Updates & Sillier Quirks

Reading that several blogging friends never tasted pet food reminded me of a funny story. Perhaps ten years ago I was visiting my parents and felt a wee bit peckish. Not wanting to be a bother, I spied a snack container and decided to snag a few nibbles.

Gah! Were they dry. No doubt you’ve guessed that they were dog treats. My mother enjoyed a good chuckle.

As for the equally unpalatable gnocchi, it turned out wonderful. I made pesto using Thai basil and chopped walnuts which, along with wilted baby spinach and a few other ingredients, disguised the dumplings’ texture while the recipe also provided a side dish every bit as good as what I used to order at our local Bravo! Italian Eatery. In fact I enjoyed a small bowlful just this morning.

My quirks are things I never really recognized until reaching my 50’s. One is a bad habit – unplugging an appliance by its cord rather than the sturdier plug. So far I haven’t short circuited anything but the practice could be hazardous. Funny enough, I think it’s because my torso and arms are both a bit shorter than average. This makes reaching the back wall above a countertop a tiny bit awkward, especially with my overall weight gain. ~sigh~ I’ll try breaking this (let’s face it) lazy tendency before any household equipment succumbs.

Another personal glitch made itself known at the cinema Sunday afternoon. This one developed in my youth, perhaps during school activities. In a nutshell, during any lengthy event I begin wishing it to end. Regardless how much I’m enjoying myself there is a point I’d rather be at home cataloging favorite memories. Tomorrow (I hope) I’ll share what film we saw and my experience.

Do you agree that gnocchi’s rather unfortunate shape gives sauce a clingy surface? Are there any movies you would see at the cinema?

-

24 comments:

  1. As a child, my eldest brother convinced all of his younger siblings to eat MilkBone dog biscuits.
    Have pretty much hated that guy since then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby has tried dog food, but mot me. I'll pass.

    Sometimes what we fix isn't eye appealing, but taste wonderful. I can live with that.

    Hubby and I haven't gone to the movies in decades. Last time we went there were so many rude people we decided not to go back.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing at the moment I want to see but I do enjoy going to see a movie in a proper cinema. I tend not to see long films, so the time passes quickly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We won't go to the cinema until cell phones are barred, it's awful here, people talking on their phones, kids playing games, etc. Hey, years and years ago my uncle complimented my aunt on the delicious liver pate he found in the fridge. Yep, it was cat food, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Movies have to be the kind that are going to suck me in. If not, I'd rather watch them on TV where I can knit while watching. Some things are more entertaining when my hands keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 80 for Brady. But....I will wait until it gets on streaming. I am not the social person I once was, staying home is easier on my body so I tend to that more and more. Quirks, everyone has them....except me! lol.....what a BIG ASS LIE! I have one thing I realized I was doing one time without knowing it, and now I do on purpose, I always put my stamp on my mail (when I mail anything) sideways or upside down. Quirks, I think those, however others think they are silly, are what helps to make us, along with other things well encounter through our yrs. I have another one, I don't eat bologna often but when I do, I want both mustard and mayo. Mayo on one piece of bread and mustard on the other. BUT...that is not all. I want my bologna to lay on the mustard piece and cheese on the mayo piece. Has to be that way. haha....now is that not strange? Merriest Valentines Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I accidentally got into one of my son's container of nectar he made for the hummingbirds. Like me, he cooks for them. Man, no WAY did I swallow that. I was looking for cold water. Didn't care for THAT cold water! It was awful and when I chastised him for not labeling the container on the fridge he was too busy rolling on the floor laughing at me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to look up gnocchi and even how to say it. They're a bit like tator tots I see. You are so clever with food and try so many delicious things. I love to go to the movies. There's a cute small theater in town, serves beer, wine, food, very nice, very fun. I went to see A Man Called Otto there a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My arms are freaky long and I pull by the cord too. :) Your gnocci sounds good. I always prefer to be home so even if Nic Cage had a decent movie out I would wait for the dvd. XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to stay away from pasta, but when I do Ava turned me on to using pesto sauce instead of a red sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look Missy, I need you to post! Time for a new post!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!