Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Overdue...

I’ve been busy acting as what I like to call a ‘suburban homesteader’. On a fixed income, seeing prices skyrocket across the board, my husband and I are determined to thrive. Increasingly over the past two years I tried to learn something new such as a recipe or household technique. My latest, most stringent efforts have gone toward a cleaner and tidier home. ~rolls eyes~ He does the research, buys me cool and useful items, even lending a hand when needed. Yesterday he stirred a simmering South Korean style sauce while I cut and sautéed vegetables, fried eggs, and prepared noodles.
My New Favorite Cookbook
My rice paper skills are improving, as have my homemade bagels. Now I’m attempting to root a Thai basil stem. It elevates my spring rolls to a taste level beyond what mint leaves provide. The windowsill might be too cold but why not try?
Veggy, Rice Noodle, & Peanut Sauce
Spring Rolls - Yum
Last Night I Made Bagels...

... for Our Homemade Lox

Still Looking Good for Now, Perhaps
Using an Old Cat Treat Cannister
Added Some Protection (?)

We also have enjoyed outings here and there. Between Christmas and New Year’s we visited a local brewery based on 18th century technology. The food was not really worth the cost but our two different beers tasted amazing. I’m just a little disappointed their decorations weren’t better, even if understatement fit the period. I expected a big elaborate Christmas tree with all the available space. Oh, well.
A Banquet Room, I Think - Lots of
seating below my angle from
the 2nd floor mezzanine
Our Modern Day Brewers Use Gravity
I Liked this Old Timey Touch...

Before the big freeze hit I took a drive, then a walk. Some folks have the cutest inflatable decorations. I delighted one homeowner by asking to take a photo and discovered an old Boy Scout park called Camp Hook. A rare owl sighting delighted me no end.
Look at this Spaceship and Hot Cocoa
Complete with Marshmallows
‘Whooo Goes There?’
Sorry about the Contrast

Complete with Fishing Dock,
Lake George is tiny,
 more like a pond.
Have you ever seen an owl in its natural setting? Have you ever been member of a youth scout troop?

-

23 comments:

  1. Yes I've seen an owl in its natural setting. Most precious.

    I love Korean food. Delicious. I'm coming to your house.

    I love visiting breweries.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color me green with envy: a wild owl sighting!
    That's a barred owl.
    I drove around last week, looking for snowy owls that have descended from the north to fatten up on our rodents in Michigan.
    Didn't see one, but I am determined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spring rolls look excellent, and with peanut sauce. I don't like bagels but I do like salmon, although Lox sent me off Googling.

    I haven't seen an owl in the wild but I was once a scout, briefly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. I so enjoy reading your experiences versus mine. Best wishes!

      Delete
  4. Your food goodies all look terrific, yum! We have an owl that lives out back, even though I've only seen it a time or two we can hear him at night, he's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with your cooking skills. Everything looks good. How much are eggs where you live? They are about $6 a dozen at Walmart now. Nice photos. Glad you enjoyed the beer and the place even if the food wasn't worth it. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We seem to be in an ideal situation because eggs prices haven't yet risen to $6 but it can change daily, can't it? ~sigh~ I'm thankful we haven't had severe shortages, at least.

      Delete
  6. I hope you've been enjoying the cooking experiments. It's not worth it if you're not having fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am. :D A new gadget I didn't expect arrives on Sunday, an early birthday gift from my husband. I'll have to share details once it's here.

      Delete
  7. YOu should have your own reality sort show. I want to make some bagels. That spring roll looked expertly rolled. I've not tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Lox. When I lived in Alaska we made what we called Squaw Candy. Smoked, but I can't remember now anything more.

      Delete
    2. You're so kind. On our too short Alaskan trip we brought home some of that sweet smoked salmon. How awesome that you made it yourself! Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  8. OH I would love LOVE to see a real owl. We sure have them here in TN. But I have only been fortunate enough one time a good 20 years ago. Mom and I aren't used to Asian cooking at all. But we truly admire your work in creating it for you and your husband. Here it's usually the old Southern thang. That's how momma was raised. Me...Fancy Feast all the way. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha.....Yes, I have been a member of a youth group. I was co leader of my daughters Daisy troop. Have I ever seen an owl in nature. Yes, matter of fact while driving 13 yelling and laughing girls (Daisy group) on the way to a weekend trip, an owl flew out in front of me and I hit it. We turned around to go back and see if we could find it, it was gone. But thanks to that those sweet little girls started calling me, "Ms. Pam, the owl killer"!!! So funny that your question included those two things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha....last night I laid in bed and all of a sudden it hit me that I did not mention anything on your post but the group and owl...lol....so I am back. When it comes to eating stuff like Korean, Chinese or even Mexican, I find that since I am feeding one, its better for me to got out to eat! With you on the BIG tree, they really missed out on that. Looks like they could have used Christmas decor all over. Next to address the blow ups! There were a lot around here but, I DO NOT LIKE THEM. As for my daughter, she loves them. Sometimes I ask, is she really my child? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's a whole lot of activity! Korean food is quite popular around the world, I guess. I find owls fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!