Monday, December 16, 2019

Ephemeral Beauty and a Quick Tip

Watching the snow fall yesterday evening, I delighted today at the full frosted glory of my Harry Lauder’s Walking stick (a cultivar of the common hazel). Upon my return from swimming I should have taken photos right away. Instead I started laundry, and an ongoing thaw melted away much of nature’s snow sculpture.

Still, there is one shot I thought might be interesting to share. This awkward overhead angle isn’t optimal, but the catkins stand out rather nicely.
A Very White Monday

As for that laundry, a few years ago I stopped drying favorite clothes in the electric dryer. Sometimes, not every granule of laundry powder dissolves in the wash and chalky residue appears upon these line dried fabrics. This recently happened to my black Palaye Royale band shirt.

Tumbling several moments in the dryer with some wet items articles didn’t eradicate this excessive streaking. Inspiration struck, and I’m happy to report a recycled dryer sheet solved the problem.

Are you a fan of fabric softeners? If so, do you prefer liquid in the washer or sheets? Please share if you know more of depleted dryer sheets’ many reuses.

-

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty. We use the dryer sheets and when hubby and I first got together he hated them. Sometimes you can't find them as they are stuck in a sleeve or pant leg. Not he's okay with them. I didn't know you could do this though. I'll keep this in mind.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great image!
    We don't own a washer and dryer; The Hubby goes to the laundromat every two weeks, and no perfumes, softeners, sheets, etc. are used. He's rather earthy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pic. That's why I prefer liquid detergent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great image. I only line dry that which is not safe for the dryer. I'm way too lazy otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely photo!!!!!!

    Don't use much softener. But when I do, I use liquid.

    πŸŽ„πŸŒ²πŸŽ„πŸŒ²πŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm, sounds great, am going to try this. I have that problem too, and had to go to liquid wash soap, and I know I'm paying for mostly water that way. I'd get behind and not dissolve the powdered soap in a cup of warm water first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photo. I can't use any kind of dryer sheet without breaking out in a rash- even ones like snuggle free and clear :( I use wool dryer balls and tennis balls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liquid every load. I have been known to miss a rinse and I would reset the washer for it. I do not use dryer sheets cause the softener on them can clog up the screen on your lent trappy thingy!!! It has been known to cause fires that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Darla,
    It happens to me too, when I thought I should have taken the picture earlier. But this one you have taken is simply superb!
    Regarding laundry, I prefer drying on the line. Not a fan of fabric softener.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many interesting comments! I appreciate them all. Best wishes to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that photo because it's not immediately obvious what it is - it's like a piece of abstract art. Unfortunately we've had a wet Christmas instead of a white one, but there's time for some snow yet!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!