Friday, July 20, 2018

Living the Life of Kitty Luxury & My Ongoing Struggle (And Feline Friday!)


Thanks to Pam Jackson at the Whimsical Way for prompting me to blog after a bit of an impromptu break. ~grin~ Since I’m so busy with a writing challenge I decided to go for an easy topic – felines. After all, our cats never cease to amaze me. Just when I think a piece of their furniture (and they have lots) will never be used again, one or the other pops in for a nap.

Take the basket in the photo below, for example, which I haven’t seen used in years. Jezebel usually prefers the top of one of the (three!) tall cat trees or one of the purr pads on either a couch or her queen size so-called ‘guest’ bed.
I See You; I Just Can't Keep My Eyes Open
It was a surprise she stayed so still to photograph. She normally is a blur in my photos, always on the go. I guess she was too sleepy here.

She is not young as she looks, having moved in the spring of 2003 on the cusp of adulthood. Jezzy went into heat about a week after we got her. SO likes to call that a great prank upon us by the friends who found her in their yard a few neighborhoods away. They dumped her in my lap during a game night visit and she went home with us that very evening.

Meanwhile, we estimate Tilly to be at least seventeen years old. I found her through the Humane Society as a young adult in 2001. She is very sweet but not at all a typical cat. For one thing, she never grooms. People have surmised she didn’t get a proper lesson from mom. We’ll never know.

It seemed she was going bald about a year ago. I was sort of relieved, as taking her to the groomer puts stress on her. But as you can see in the photo below, a trip can no longer be postponed. I’m afraid the knots will soon begin to pull on delicate skin.
Tilly AKA the Briar Patch
Unfortunately, I cannot get through to our usual groomer. I’ve left two voice mails and an email. This isn’t the first time, for whatever reason. Renee seems to like me just fine and we never quibble over the price. She and/or her husband dote over Tilly whenever we arrive for our appointments, too. So why I struggle to make appointments is a mystery.

I am putting SO on the case as of today. For whatever reason, he never has a problem getting through.

Have you even seen a shaved cat? Hopefully, you will soon.


-

19 comments:

  1. You have two beautiful girls. I did link them to Feline Friday. It doesn't matter if there are lots of information, it's the kitty pictures that count. I'm very lenient with my hops. Mostly anything goes.

    Have you thought about the mobile groomers. Less stressful if they come to your home.

    Have a fabulous Feline Friday and weekend. Big hug to you and tons of scritches to the girls. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You're very kind. ~hugs~ I keep forgetting to check if our area has a mobile grooming service. As it is, I stopped by on the way to the gym and found them in business, surprised not to have gotten a call back. Weird. Be well!

      Delete
  2. I have seen shaved cats....and they are very upset about that! But it is all for their benefit! Matted fur hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless her heart, our silly Tilly does not care. I'm happy to say that, so far, she has exhibited no pain or discomfort. We have an appointment for August 2nd (!) because the groomer is taking a few days off, ironically. We thought that's why we never got called back way back around Independence Day! ~sigh~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  3. Shaved cat? Yeah. Babies. Why her name was pluralized... We had custody of her for two years. She belonged to my brother and family, but had to be rehomed for reasons. When those reasons left, she went back to them. And they would shave her for summer.

    She hated the groomer, but needed it periodically as she had long dark fur. Scared her every time. Poor Babies. (She's no longer living. Died a year or so ago.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen them. The cats look crabby about it! My Velvet has pretty long hair. We brush her. The dog Boo has thick, thick hair, but combing with a de-matting comb cuts mats as it combs. It has sharp blades in the curved comb. It would work on a cat too, they come in smaller sizes than mine. Most cats love brushing. Honestly, I wouldn't shave a cat, or Boo, as that long thick hair is made for temperature regulation. I've read vets say it doesn't help much at all, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never found a tool that works on her fur. ~sigh~ On the bright side, our girl never seems bothered, and we keep her in ideal temperatures. ~nods~ Be well!

      Delete
  5. They are all beautiful. I used to have my Angel Snowball get a lion cut every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You kitty looks cute in the basket.
    Tilly is very sweet looking as well. We have one who is 18 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good on you. I never knew cats could get this old. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  7. Wow two old girls! And they look healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so. ~grin~ We'd like to keep them as long as they're happy to stay.

      Delete
  8. Awww, Jezebel looks so relaxed in that basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sad to say, she's never relaxed when strangers are in the house. Heck, she hid from my parents during their last two visits. I don't know why she's become so neurotic, but we do our best to keep a quiet house. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
    2. Some cats are shy and only comfy around their own people. Pinkie is like that too. Midnight is much more friendly.

      Delete
  9. Seen the hairless but not a shaved..this should be interesting. What I think would be more so is to see it being done! Put that kitty asleep for this job. Never seen a cat that didn't groom. Funny...sometimes I think that Liy needs to stop before licking all her hair out! haha....but then again if I could manage the positions she gets.....oh never mind. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha... She behaves well awake. In fact, I'd worry more about any sort of sedative at her age.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!