Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Primed for Prime Time, or Why I Left the Seventies Behind



This household has climbed another rung up the technology ladder. My partner, enamored with the Internet streaming opportunities, has decided to invest in Amazon Prime even though we live too far from a major city for same day delivery of products.

We now have a ton of programming off Amazon lined up to watch on TV via our Roku device. In addition, membership lets us stream music.

There’s been a lot of classic seventies music thumping down the hall today, leading me to a realization. While the songs are not bad, some quite excellent, I just don’t enjoy listening overmuch.

The musicians are talented, for sure. I mean, we’re talking about a lot of great artists here. I have attributed my preference for newer music to the fact tunes like “I Heard it Through the Grapevine” by Creedence Clearwater Revival get way too much classic radio airplay.

Today I realized that much of the material, aside from a select few examples (“Hotel California” comes to mind, and of course it played this morning), leaves me feeling melancholy. This sensation, a weird revelation, built over many minutes.

Why should this be? Then I reflected upon what a disenchanted, miserable child I was in the seventies.

Don’t get me wrong. My childhood was not terrible by any means. Many would call my upbringing idyllic with no argument from me. That child just could not be pleased. Perhaps it was hormonal, a black cloud building long before the storm of mid eighties adolescence. I don’t know.

All I can say is I’m glad the music has been turned off. Maybe I’ll listen to Palaye Royale’s “Boom Boom Room (Side A)” again now. Next spring should see “Side B” for sale. Hurray! But I digress…

Let’s hope seventies film offerings don’t have the same effect. My partner found a channel featuring ‘grindhouse’ style schlock. I did enjoy when Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino directed odes to the genre ten years ago. We actually saw those in the theater.

Have you seen “Planet Terror”? Now, an image to make me smile...

Remington Leith, Palaye Royale Frontman, Monkeying Around

-

12 comments:

  1. We've got Amazon Prime right now. We order a lot of stuff online for the boat and it works out to save us money with the free shipping. Plus we're enjoying watching shows on it. I just finished "The Patriot" which was quite funny in a black comedy kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information. I like black comedies. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Darla, you are something else...I love that about you. I have not been online much. Health, minions, minions health...it is a blur...but, I am working on it. Thanks for sticking with me. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you appreciate my quirks. ~grin~ Be well, my dear. ~hugs~ I wish you all the best.

      Delete
  3. OH NO....I LOVE 70s music! I grew up during the 70s so that is my time, my fav music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered that. You rock. ~grin~ I'm coping. LOL

      Delete
  4. I can't abide "Hotel California". It's on a very short list of songs I can not listen to.

    As for the '70s, easy to get burned out on, I would think. But that's true of anything, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I still haven't burned out on listening to Palaye Royale every day. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  5. It's funny how music can bring to mind a certain time in your life, either positively or negatively. Funny though, isn't Hotel California quite melancholy? Lyrically, anyway... "Such a lonely place..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the lyrics eerie in a good way. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  6. If there is one song I hate it is Hotel California. We were not as kids allowed music in our home due to our cult religious upbringing, so I kind of missed out on all that. I listened to my generation's teen music when I was much older, well into my 20's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I am sad that you were so restricted. How awful on many levels. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!