Monday, March 6, 2017

The Flu Shot, Part Two: The Workout



As mentioned in my last post I received a flu shot the other day. I was on my way home from an intense workout and not exactly steady on my feet. Apologizing for my shaky appearance, I learned it can be beneficial.

“Your blood is really pumping,” chirped the needle wielding pharmacist. “The vaccine will coarse through you that much faster.”

Okay. I guess that sounds good.

That was around one o’clock in the afternoon. Fast forward to evening.

It started with a sneezing fit that surely cost me some gray matter. Then a headache formed (not too bad. Thanks, Korski vodka).

Now I’m lying in bed somewhere between three or four AM (you know, when all good health crises hit). I wake up freezing, shaking so hard I can hardly get out of bed. But I stagger through the house gathering two aspirin, another bottle of water, and a heavy blanket.

The layered shivers emanating from about mid back were so intense I thought my skin had to be glowing with kinetic energy. Finally, though, I slept – until five am. At that point I’m sweating, my right nostril streaming. With a tissue stuffed up my nose, I ditch the blanket and try for more sleep.

At six o’clock I gave up. Besides a hungry clown loach snapping her jaws for morning fish food and a hypo-thyroid suffering cat to pill, I needed yet another bottle of water.

Lesson learned. If you decide to get a flu vaccination, do NOT pump iron first.

Or do you think it was coincidence?

-

6 comments:

  1. I have no idea. I would think you'd want to be at rest when you get the flu shot, but I don't know how these things work. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good grief. I am glad that is behind you, though! Take care. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warm wishes mean a lot. I am glad, too, that this has past. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Well, I never pumped iron before my flu shot and I never did like that....maybe next time, don't do it. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the right idea, Pam. Thanks for the kind word!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to share your opinion. Hearing from readers adds immensely to my joy of writing!